Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Got it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Default Got it!

Picked up my wife's new 2021 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve yesterday! Soul Red Chrystal Metallic with Parchment Leather interior - very nice looking combination. Added a few options like splash guards, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray. Dealer had added window tint, paint protection, stain protection and nitrogen for the tires, all heavily discounted as i didn't really want these. Will be taking the car to a friend for clear wrap on bumpers, hood, fenders, A pillars, door edges, door handle cups, rear bumper in a couple of days. Then ceramic paint coating..

Bought it a little sooner that we had planned but with the chip shortage impacting production we were concerned that if we waited we could be quite delayed in getting one. And i think we got a pretty good price - out the door $39k. Car, options, lic/title, sales taxes, doc fees. At least don't anyone tell me i grossly overpaid

Now to order the nav card (NavKing, best source i guess) and a few other items.

Thanks to all the good advice I received here in helping make our decision!

Last edited by AZCX5; 04-27-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:03 AM

Enjoy!

Old 04-27-2021, 04:43 PM

You are putting clear wrap on the windows? Please explain.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
This has been being done for at least 20+ years.

The only issue may be a concern using it on the windshield that it may negate the safety quality but has never been proven to do so that I have ever seen documentation only arm chair warriors theorizing. The other thing in most states it is illegal and with poloid sunglasses you can see the film even if it is clear.

The plus side is that most impact that will leave small sand pit will never happen so you get clear vision much longer then with glass. The wipers work perfect.

I have done this to a few of my cars and the first was about 2003 and it still on the car. Looks like a brand new windshield. In my case I purchased a new windshield and installed the 3m clear and then installed the windshield. I only wanted a perfect bubble free install.

I received my 3m products installation certification (specifically for clear bra's) from 3m in San Jose California

Last edited by Callisto; 04-27-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Yes, one can put wrap on windows to protect them as Callisto commented, and esp useful here in AZ where the highway department usually paves with loose rock, but in my particular case my brain wasn't keeping up with my fingers. I'm not planning to put clear wrap on the windows, i think i missed that when editing about the window tint from the dealer. I edited my original post to clarify. Today's challenge is getting Homelink to work with my 20 year old garage opener system..

Old 04-27-2021, 06:32 PM

Ordered my Nav card from NavKing, should arrive Monday to hopefully set it up.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:21 PM

Got Homelink working, even with my 20+ year old garage opener. Didn't have much hope for that old technology working with newer technology, but it does.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
Got Homelink working, even with my 20+ year old garage opener. Didn't have much hope for that old technology working with newer technology, but it does.
You might have more trouble mating it with a new garage door opener than an old one.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This has been being done for at least 20+ years.

The only issue may be a concern using it on the windshield that it may negate the safety quality but has never been proven to do so that I have ever seen documentation only arm chair warriors theorizing. The other thing in most states it is illegal and with poloid sunglasses you can see the film even if it is clear.

The plus side is that most impact that will leave small sand pit will never happen so you get clear vision much longer then with glass. The wipers work perfect.

I have done this to a few of my cars and the first was about 2003 and it still on the car. Looks like a brand new windshield. In my case I purchased a new windshield and installed the 3m clear and then installed the windshield. I only wanted a perfect bubble free install.

I received my 3m products installation certification (specifically for clear bra's) from 3m in San Jose California
Interesting. I would think the plastic would start showing dings/defects pretty quickly. I suppose it works just like with ppf in that it could be replaced as needed and should help the windshield last longer. My concern would be with a rock hitting and cracking the windshield. Could they repair it through the film or would it have to be removed? I have ppf on my two other cars, but did not do it on my leased CX-5 as I didn't plan on keeping it.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:57 AM

Congratulations on a great purchase. The clear paint protection film is a good investment.

May wish to consider installing PPF material on piano black plastic B and C pillars that allegedly scratches very easily...difficult or impossible to restore, and the wear is asymmetrical based on door usage and car wash brushes....

Piano Black B and C Pillars (4 sections) allegedly scratch easily and look bad after one year of door closing, and are hard to restore

Last edited by Chas2; 04-28-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Got it!