Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Got it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2
Congratulations on a great purchase. The clear paint protection film is a good investment.

May wish to consider installing PPF material on piano black plastic B and C pillars that allegedly scratches very easily...difficult or impossible to restore, and the wear is asymmetrical based on door usage and car wash brushes....

Piano Black B and C Pillars (4 sections) allegedly scratch easily and look bad after one year of door closing, and are hard to restore
Thanks, added to the list. It goes in tomorrow. So tempting to go for a drive but holding off till this is done.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Interesting. I would think the plastic would start showing dings/defects pretty quickly. I suppose it works just like with ppf in that it could be replaced as needed and should help the windshield last longer. My concern would be with a rock hitting and cracking the windshield. Could they repair it through the film or would it have to be removed? I have ppf on my two other cars, but did not do it on my leased CX-5 as I didn't plan on keeping it.
Use the thicker film it will absorb most common impacts better. Many Clear bra installers will use thinner clear film because of the difficulty and labor intensity with installing thicker films. So you get less protection at the same premium price. Most never know they have a choice of film thickness simply assume they are getting the best.

Nothing can completely protect a windshield from damage and those so called chip repairs are crap IMHO and look terrible. Maybe because it seems every time I get a chip it is directly in my straight line of vision? LOL If a chip is that big on my glass I just replace it. Most windshields are inexpensive enough....generally speaking. And yes I know some with several sensors are always going to cost more.
I have replaced the MAZDA windshield 3 times now. None were warrantied or covered by my auto insurance. But that because I get them at distributor cost.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
U
I have replaced the MAZDA windshield 3 times now. None were warrantied or covered by my auto insurance. But that because I get them at distributor cost.
Three times? I have full glass replacement on my auto insurance and it sounds like my insurance company is not going to like me

Old 04-28-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
Three times? I have full glass replacement on my auto insurance and it sounds like my insurance company is not going to like me
Sorry I should have been a little clearer...
I have full replacement but not for cosmetic(small pitting) and not if they deem that it can be repaired. I also should have said one of the time was because I had to remove the windshield to get the headliner out it tack without damaging it to recover it. The other 2 times was because I just got pecky with the pits. At the time OEM glass was about the only quality choice that was not wavy like many aftermarket glass. The down side is MAZDA windshield is harder then most OE replacement after market glass so it pits easily. Most aftermarket glass only need meet the minimum OE specification requirement. There is a reason why in most markets a large difference in glass price and is not because after market vs OE price scheduling.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:37 PM

I have had chips repaired several times with varying results. I just had one done on our CX-5 (it is leased so I am not spending any more on it than I have to) which looks pretty good, but it is very low on the windshield which helps. I have never had a repair fail (i.e. crack further than it was originally) but most places will deduct the cost of the repair if it fails and you have to replace the windshield.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
You might have more trouble mating it with a new garage door opener than an old one.
Linking Homelink on my 2021 Signature with three brand new Genie Garage Door openers was painless. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chris!
Linking Homelink on my 2021 Signature with three brand new Genie Garage Door openers was painless. Just follow the instructions carefully.
My Genie system is 20 yrs old. None of the Mazda instructions worked, after many attempts. Finally found guidance on the Genie technical web site, last page after all other models described. But it took all of about 75 seconds to do with the right instructions. Impressed Homelink could work with this.

Last edited by AZCX5; 04-29-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2
Congratulations on a great purchase. The clear paint protection film is a good investment.

May wish to consider installing PPF material on piano black plastic B and C pillars that allegedly scratches very easily...difficult or impossible to restore, and the wear is asymmetrical based on door usage and car wash brushes....

Piano Black B and C Pillars (4 sections) allegedly scratch easily and look bad after one year of door closing, and are hard to restore
The guy who is installing the PPF today advised not covering the black B & C pillars with clear film. Apparently when the film is removed for replacement (because scratches in the film show up pretty badly against the black paint), the process of removing the adhesive also scratches the paint. He is getting some new black PPF in a few months that he will use.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:51 AM

Ordered the CX-5 illuminated door sills. Needed some bling for my wife's ride. Found them on the interweb for about $50 less than dealer price, so i called my local dealer and he will match price. Pick them up Monday.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:24 PM

Picked it up from the shop doing the PPF Friday and went on a wonderful 450 mile drive yesterday to help break it in properly. Great drive from Prescott up onto the Mogollon Rim up through the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, over to Winslow and back home via the rim. Great combination of freeway, highway, in-town and slow speed driving to mix up the speeds and conditions. Car was very comfortable and nice to drive. Ave 26+ mpg, so no complaints there.

Now that it's broken in I can start to drive it like it should be driven.

Quick Reply: Got it!