Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Got it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Cool

That’s a wonderful drive, not just scenic but an entertaining drive too depending on traffic. Today we drove down to Oracle through the cactus desert, up to Globe then back around to Apache Junction. Beautiful day and drive - especially when behind the wheel of a Mazda...

Old 05-02-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
That’s a wonderful drive, not just scenic but an entertaining drive too depending on traffic. Today we drove down to Oracle through the cactus desert, up to Globe then back around to Apache Junction. Beautiful day and drive - especially when behind the wheel of a Mazda...
That's a fun drive i did a number of times when i also lived in the Valley of the Furnace, oops, i mean Sun.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:34 PM

Took it in for the first oil change yesterday at 1,500 miles (free oil change). Service mgr was very helpful and considerate, very pleasant experience. He also updated the infotainment system to 11026 as a courtesy, no charge. Offered to wash my car but i just finished adding ceramic coating to the paint and it needed to sit a couple of weeks before washing. Asked him about adding an oil catch can - he thought it was a good idea and they would still cover any engine warranty issues. Said he hadn't seen one on a CX-5 yet but lots of Miatas with them.

Since we got the car I have added:
- Clear PPF on the front end, full hood, front fenders, mirrors, top of roof in front of the moonroof, A pillars, top of rear bumper to reduce scratches when loading trunk
- Black PPF on the B and C pillars.
- Body side trim to minimize door dings,
- CX-5 illuminated door sills (touch of class)
- Hood struts (really like these) so no messing around with the hood support rod and they open the hood higher
- Nav card
- Ceramic coat on paint and wheels

Considering some other accessories/projects over the next several months like interior LED lighting kit, oil catch can, magnetic drain plug by next oil change in 6 mos, more storage containers for the rear hatch organization, all season floor mats, better tires (wider, better grip). Stuff to keep me busy for a little while.I'm sure i'll add to the list as we live with the car more.

First big road trip Friday. Driving to Santa Fe, NM and Pagosa Springs, CO for a couple of weeks. I'm sure we'll get some more ideas on that trip. Maybe need some fly rod holders or something like that.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:58 AM

Nice! I had my initial oil change a couple of months ago~2500 miles. What exactly does that oil catch can do?
I would never, ever let the dealership wash my car, especially with PPF and a coating installed. Besides the strong chemicals, more often than not dirty towels to wash and dry coupled with poor and inattentive techniques, at the least you will get swirls.
Did yo get the OEM door sills? Do you find yourself or anyone else, getting them damaged/pulled when entering or exiting the car? Battery powered?

Old 07-11-2021, 06:04 PM

Is the first oil change recommended at 1500/2500 miles? I went in at 5k with my 2019. I didn't think the dealer would do the free oil change so early.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:14 AM

The factory recommended 5k but I didnt want to leave the engine assembly lubricants and stuff in the engine past 1500-1700 miles. With a trip coming up this was the best time to do it.

The dealers shouldn't care when they do the free oil change. Your engine will be fine at 5000.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Nice! I had my initial oil change a couple of months ago~2500 miles. What exactly does that oil catch can do?
I would never, ever let the dealership wash my car, especially with PPF and a coating installed. Besides the strong chemicals, more often than not dirty towels to wash and dry coupled with poor and inattentive techniques, at the least you will get swirls.
Did yo get the OEM door sills? Do you find yourself or anyone else, getting them damaged/pulled when entering or exiting the car? Battery powered?
The oil catch can allows the vapors in the engine to percolate into a liquid that is removed before it goes back into the engine. Collects lots of ugly crud before it get into the fuel injection. Google Corksport oil can and you can see what it does.

The door sills are OEM. Pricy but nice. Easy to install adheasive tape on the back of the sill. Two button battery's in each side. Instructions say they last about a year before replacement.

Yeah, dealer won't get to wash my car, just observing they were trying to be attentive to us.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:45 PM

The catch can has nothing to do with the fuel injection. It simply collects the PVC fluids preventing them from being sucked into the intake ports. The fuel remains clean regardless whether you have a can or not (as long as the fuel filter is working).

Old 07-12-2021, 09:32 PM

I don't think I said fuel injection It collects fluids from the PVC syatem and they percolate out into liquid that can be drained out of the system periodically But the PVC does route those vapors back Into the injection system to be burned during normal ignition. A catch can keeps that crap out of the engine.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:26 PM

Finished my first long road trip in July. Have made several 200 mi round trips down to the Phoenix valley but this was the first real road trip. Drove to Santa Fe NM and up to Pagosa Springs, CO for 10 days. 1492 miles. Averaged 25.6 mpg with a mixture of freeway, city, mountain and two-lane highway driving. Happy with that, for a Turbo and heavy right foot.

General impression is this vehicle is great on the road: plenty of power, smooth ride, easy to drive, good handling for the curvy bits, enough storage for us, our two dogs plus our luggage and toys for playing in CO. I'm a big fan now of adaptive cruise control - many miles of freeway with nary a touch of the brake or gas once reaching cruising speed, even in construction zones. I found I used the "gap" control much more than the "speed" control. SirriusXM could become a permanent part of my life, although having a USB stick full of music is nice too.

Have to agree with people who feel the seats are a little too firm. I like firm seats vs squishy non-supportive seats, but I hope these "break-in" a little. My wife found a nice cushion for her back that made a big difference.

Can't wait for the next opportunity to go cruising.

Quick Reply: Got it!