Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

hatch release button?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Default hatch release button?

Does the CX-5 have a hatch release button somewhere in the car?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Don't have the car here right now but quick glance and owner manual says 'No'.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Tomasz - Thanks, that's what I thought.

The reason why I asked is because my electric hatch lock release is not working. I can only open hatch from inside (via instruction in manual for emergency opening). I have appointment at dealer for Friday to have it looked at. I think it's possibly an adjustment needed, because I can hear the electric actuator working.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Tomasz - Thanks, that's what I thought.

The reason why I asked is because my electric hatch lock release is not working. I can only open hatch from inside (via instruction in manual for emergency opening). I have appointment at dealer for Friday to have it looked at. I think it's possibly an adjustment needed, because I can hear the electric actuator working.
Did you have your transmission in Park (if auto) or handbrake pulled (if manual). Hatch lock release works only if those are met.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 PM

My mistake, I figured it out. For those with Advanced Keyless Entry System, the "request button" (to right on rear hatch) doesn't open/release hatch, it just unlocks everything. You still need to use center-mounted hatch release to open.

Note: Only Advanced Keyless Entry system has request button on hatch. I will train the service advisor when I cancel appointment. She could not figure it out when I stopped in Service.

Last edited by CX-SV; 03-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM

testing avatar

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM

I just wanted to add my experience to this post in case anyone has similar issues. 4 days into owning our CX-5 our rear latch failed. We do not have the Advanced Keyless Entry system so we only have one button. We took it to the dealership and they keep it for 4 days, replaced the latch and listed "Corrosion" as the reason for failure.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
My mistake, I figured it out. For those with Advanced Keyless Entry System, the "request button" (to right on rear hatch) doesn't open/release hatch, it just unlocks everything. You still need to use center-mounted hatch release to open.

Note: Only Advanced Keyless Entry system has request button on hatch. I will train the service advisor when I cancel appointment. She could not figure it out when I stopped in Service.
that's a bit scary. to be honest, from reading the threads, and one dealing with the service dept, i am not impressed with Mazda's service caliber. I hope it gets better.

on a related note, i find that having 2 buttons on the hatch awkward, it should be just 1 button, but multi function. 1 press, 2 press, and press and hold.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by hrrm
that's a bit scary. to be honest, from reading the threads, and one dealing with the service dept, i am not impressed with Mazda's service caliber. I hope it gets better.

on a related note, i find that having 2 buttons on the hatch awkward, it should be just 1 button, but multi function. 1 press, 2 press, and press and hold.
The CX-5 had only been out for a few months, so I was tolerant. The owners manual explains the hatch button fuctions well enough fortunately.

I found a different SA at that Mazda dealership service department, he's very good and I deal only with him. My first service/oil change at 7.5K miles went very well.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM

i tried to use that button (the round one on the hatch), all it does is lock or unlock (i can't remember which. i wish it does both. is that how it only works?