Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Hesitation when the gear shifts - 2019 GTR (new owner)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Default Hesitation when the gear shifts - 2019 GTR (new owner)

I just bought my first Mazda - a 2019 Grand Touring Reserve. I noticed that when I am coming to a rolling stop (foot is not on brake or accelerator pedal) and it goes from double-digits to single digit mph (i.e., 10 mph to 9 mph), the shift is pronounced - almost like a slight jerk. It's not over the top but I notice it. I took it in immediately and they said nothing was wrong with it and it was fine, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else's GTR does the same thing? It just doesn't seem normal, but I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:56 AM

I notice this as well in my GT (same transmission). Sometimes the car is caught off guard and shifts are a bit delayed. If I drive very sedate the shifts are seamless but if I drive hard they are more pronounced. I do feel it downshift sometimes as well as I come to a stop. I think its normal.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Thanks - appreciate the feedback!

Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by armogy
I just bought my first Mazda - a 2019 Grand Touring Reserve. I noticed that when I am coming to a rolling stop (foot is not on brake or accelerator pedal) and it goes from double-digits to single digit mph (i.e., 10 mph to 9 mph), the shift is pronounced - almost like a slight jerk. It's not over the top but I notice it. I took it in immediately and they said nothing was wrong with it and it was fine, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else's GTR does the same thing? It just doesn't seem normal, but I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. Thanks!
This phenomena is not unusual regardless of which brand of automatic transmission equipped vehicle you're talking about. The manufacturer is faced with two options, 1) leave the transmission in a higher gear until the vehicle stops and then run the risk of the driver wanting to accelerate again from say, eight miles per hour, which would in turn cause the transmission to need to scramble to pick the correct gear, or 2) downshift early (causing slight jerk you are referring to) to keep the transmission ready to accelerate if necessary.