Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 03:29 PM

My Redline hood struts arrived today, and they're now installed. What a difference!

The install went quick and easy, and the instructions (with color pictures, no less) were clear and easy to follow.

As a former Lexus and Mercedes owner, I believe saving nickels and dimes on equipment like this places Mazda in a poor light. Hood struts are fine for an entry-level automobile like the Toyota Corolla my wife owned for years, but they're not OK for a Mazda CX-5 GT. Did I say NOT OK? Are you listening, Mazda?

MiltB, Pompano Beach, FL

Old 05-15-2021, 03:46 PM

I doubt it. Since few of today’s drivers ever open the hood there is little incentive to add gas struts for the relative few who do. If Mazda added all the details found in a Merc they’d cost what a Merc does...I’m okay with the minor extra effort required once or twice a month to open the hood. YMMV.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM

You may be right, but I was trained as a kid to check the oil at every fill-up, and I've been doing that ever since. Agreed, with modern automobiles like our CX-5s it's a lot less important than it used to be, but there are enough of us motorheads who often look under the hood that Mazda (and other brands) should make doing so easy. That's my take, and I'm sticking to it!

MiltB

Old 05-16-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
You may be right, but I was trained as a kid to check the oil at every fill-up, and I've been doing that ever since. Agreed, with modern automobiles like our CX-5s it's a lot less important than it used to be, but there are enough of us motorheads who often look under the hood that Mazda (and other brands) should make doing so easy. That's my take, and I'm sticking to it!

MiltB
My hood goes up every night when I get home, exception is is if its wet from rain.
This morning had to run to Lowes for a gallon of paint....close the hood, upon return the hood is open again.
But to my defense, I have several on going projects that require me to be under the hood measuring and test fitting.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:25 PM

Another motorhead, eh? Believe me, I get that!

Old 05-16-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
Another motorhead, eh? Believe me, I get that!
well I like to think so a little... what do you think? Here is my Mazda thread.

Mazda3 Things I like to do

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...like-do-44018/

Old 05-17-2021, 11:03 PM

After finding these and posting about them a month or so ago I just got around to ordering my set tonight. Figured I'd better do this now before this forum buys all the stock

Glad to hear all the good reviews before ordering.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
I doubt it. Since few of today’s drivers ever open the hood there is little incentive to add gas struts for the relative few who do. If Mazda added all the details found in a Merc they’d cost what a Merc does...I’m okay with the minor extra effort required once or twice a month to open the hood. YMMV.
I hate to admit it but I'm one of those people who rarely opens the hood anymore. In the 3 years I had my old car I only remember doing it a handful of times and one or two were to jump my dad's car. I think I've popped the CX-5's hood about half a dozen times. The first time was the show my folks the engine and that's when I realized i didn't like that support rod. The next time was to install the Redline kit, and the couple times since then has just been to show my friends how nice the struts are.

Of course working from home I also haven't been driving enough to need to get under the hood. It's been two months and I've only put about 300 miles on there.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by GregP74
Of course working from home I also haven't been driving enough to need to get under the hood. It's been two months and I've only put about 300 miles on there.
That's the perfect time to get under there and detail the engine compartment, it'll be looking good for a long time

Old 05-18-2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
That's the perfect time to get under there and detail the engine compartment, it'll be looking good for a long time
Good thinking!

Quick Reply: Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5