Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

How to lose customers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 05:00 PM
Default How to lose customers

Ok, I'm a Customer service type guy. Until a few years ago I was a Festool (German portable power tools) and since all the prices were the same, dealers had to compete on service. not price.

So I was briefly considering trading in my 2021 Carbon Edition for something that I should have given more thought to at the time and not made such a quick impulsive decision and that's the Signature Edition. I knew I would be hit hard with depreciation, but if nothing else, get an idea of what's what.
So, I call the dealership and of course they can't quote an estimate over the phone w/o seeing the car.Ok, makes sense. So I made an appointment for a 9:30 meeting with a salesperson. He said it would be a quick 15 minute one and done. So I am there at 9:30 sharp and mentioned to the person at the desk that I had a meeting. So, after a few minutes, a salesman approaches and I explain the situation, I tell him who my original salesperson was and he said he'd be in in a few minutes - perfectly fine as I want to give him a chance to MAYBE make the sale - if I decided the numbers worked.

Soooooooo, I give him my info and VIN and a while passes by and the another person inspects my car - which is in perfect, pristine condition. In the meantime, they bring out a Signature Edition for me to check out. That 40k car was filthy inside and out, in dire need of a cleaning.
Salesman comes out and says something like "don't shoot me I'm only the messenger"and shows me the paperwork with the numbers. I ask whats the price on a new car - with incentives, etc.He says he needs to speak to the guys in the office.OK, 20 minutes later they are still there yacking amongst themselves. He comes back and says it will be a few more minutes. So I mention that I have to get going and I need my keys as he can call me later with the exact numbers. He said he'd be right back with the keys and again goes to the office and after 10 further minutes he's still yacking it up with the same group of salesman. It's now 10:45. I went back and retrieved my keys and he said he would call me shortly with the exact numbers.

It goes without saying that he did not give me that call. In truth, I had a very good idea that the numbers wouldn't work and I was also nonplussed by the Signature anyhow.
So, a 15 minute meeting turns into an hour and 45 minute meeting - with no answer and no as promised return call. Total about 3 hours of wasted time, served up poorly by a very poor customer service sales force.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:42 AM
BWJ
Wink

Originally Posted by bobm
Ok, I'm a Customer service type guy. Until a few years ago I was a Festool (German portable power tools) and since all the prices were the same, dealers had to compete on service. not price.

So I was briefly considering trading in my 2021 Carbon Edition for something that I should have given more thought to at the time and not made such a quick impulsive decision and that's the Signature Edition. I knew I would be hit hard with depreciation, but if nothing else, get an idea of what's what.
So, I call the dealership and of course they can't quote an estimate over the phone w/o seeing the car.Ok, makes sense. So I made an appointment for a 9:30 meeting with a salesperson. He said it would be a quick 15 minute one and done. So I am there at 9:30 sharp and mentioned to the person at the desk that I had a meeting. So, after a few minutes, a salesman approaches and I explain the situation, I tell him who my original salesperson was and he said he'd be in in a few minutes - perfectly fine as I want to give him a chance to MAYBE make the sale - if I decided the numbers worked.

Soooooooo, I give him my info and VIN and a while passes by and the another person inspects my car - which is in perfect, pristine condition. In the meantime, they bring out a Signature Edition for me to check out. That 40k car was filthy inside and out, in dire need of a cleaning.
Salesman comes out and says something like "don't shoot me I'm only the messenger"and shows me the paperwork with the numbers. I ask whats the price on a new car - with incentives, etc.He says he needs to speak to the guys in the office.OK, 20 minutes later they are still there yacking amongst themselves. He comes back and says it will be a few more minutes. So I mention that I have to get going and I need my keys as he can call me later with the exact numbers. He said he'd be right back with the keys and again goes to the office and after 10 further minutes he's still yacking it up with the same group of salesman. It's now 10:45. I went back and retrieved my keys and he said he would call me shortly with the exact numbers.

It goes without saying that he did not give me that call. In truth, I had a very good idea that the numbers wouldn't work and I was also nonplussed by the Signature anyhow.
So, a 15 minute meeting turns into an hour and 45 minute meeting - with no answer and no as promised return call. Total about 3 hours of wasted time, served up poorly by a very poor customer service sales force.
Could be they were checking for potential byers to give you the best offer

Old 04-17-2021, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by BWJ
Could be they were checking for potential byers to give you the best offer
Nah, the office is open and all glass towards the customer; guys standin' around, hands in pockets, laughing. Not the biggest issue in the world, but I would have not minded as much if my salesperson would have gotten back to me - even though my mind was made up not to trade in my Carbon Edition, This was on top of previous, poor customer service from from the .....Parts and Service Departments.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:10 AM
BWJ

Agree

Old 04-17-2021, 09:15 AM

They took your keys and held on to them till you had to ask for them back? That's such an old tactic! I'm shocked that anyone still uses this.

Find another dealer but be sure to tell the first dealer where to stick it and why you're looking at another dealer.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:31 AM

Yeah, I would have walked by 10am. Unacceptable. I have seen issues like this frequently though. I think in today's climate they don't need to try very hard - supply is tight and they will sell the cars anyway. I met a friend at a Range Rover dealer a few months ago. He had driven across town for an appointment to see a 90k car. We met at the correct time and the salesperson wasn't there. No call, no text. We waited for 30 minutes then left. On the way to another dealership the salesperson called and said she "didn't have cell service so couldn't contact us" and was on the way to the dealership (in metro Atlanta? I don't think so). We said thanks, but no thanks. What a waste of time.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
They took your keys and held on to them till you had to ask for them back? That's such an old tactic! I'm shocked that anyone still uses this.

Find another dealer but be sure to tell the first dealer where to stick it and why you're looking at another dealer.
Well, they had my keys because they needed to check my car - no problem with that. It's when I asked for them back and I'm waiting around and they were simply still bs'ng together and I had to go back to that office party and ask again for my key, that ticked me off. The no callback from my salesperson just confirmed how inept and inconsiderate they are.