Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

How Many More Years for the Current CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 06:48 PM
Default How Many More Years for the Current CX-5?

I just leased a 2023 CX-50 Preferred Plus. This replaced my leased 2020 CX-5 Touring FWD, which in turn replaced my leased 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD. One reason for going with the CX-50 was that the CX-5 is going on its seventh year with the same basic vehicle. Yes, there have been changes with the interior and exterior, but the basic vehicle is essentially the same. While I know that Mazda (and every other car company) doesn't want to mess around and risk killing the sales of their best seller by making changes which will scare off their market, at some point they have to bite the bullet and take the risk, lest they lose customers who get tired of buying the same old thing.

So, will Mazda just keep producing the same CX-5 along side the CX-50, will they eventually bring out a new CX-5 along with the CX-50, will they replace the CX-5 with the CX-50 (just like the CX-30 replaced the CX-3), or will they bring a different model for the more higher end buyers of the CX-5 (CX-60 maybe), while selling the CX-50 for the mainstream CX-5/50 market?

Stuart

Old 12-09-2022, 07:15 PM

No one on this forum knows unless they are a mid/high level Mazda employee, but check the sales figures. The 50 will need to sell a lot more than it is before Mazda considers replacing its best seller. The CX-5 is outselling the CX-50 by about 6 to 1.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cx-5-v...ate.123878196/

Old 12-09-2022, 07:17 PM

Also, the CX-50 is only sold in the North American market. The CX-5 is sold globally. Those figures are the U.S. sales.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:22 AM

Every manufacturer that wants to still be around in ten years is focusing on EV vehicles.
In most industrialized countries within the next 10-15 years, you will not be able to purchase a "new" fossil fueled vehicle.
In my opinion I doubt there is much effort being put in to redesigning any current gas/diesel powered models.
Manufacturers would not likely recoup the costs to make any significant "updates".

Old 12-10-2022, 08:14 AM
Default Excellent thought

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Every manufacturer that wants to still be around in ten years is focusing on EV vehicles.
In most industrialized countries within the next 10-15 years, you will not be able to purchase a "new" fossil fueled vehicle.
In my opinion I doubt there is much effort being put in to redesigning any current gas/diesel powered models.
Manufacturers would not likely recoup the costs to make any significant "updates".
You make a great point. For all we know Mazda is preparing something great for the next generation CX-5, but with all the work going on with the CX-60/70/80/90, plus the MX-30, they may just be continuing the current CX-5 until they are ready.
Stuart

Old 12-11-2022, 02:07 PM

Mazda is hard to predict. My guess is that they will make the CX-50 world wide but still make some improvements to the CX-5. I don't see major changes to the CX-5 or it being discontinued.

My Mazda guesses have been wrong for years. I would have bet they would have had more Mazdaspeed vehicles, added a bigger engine to the old CX-3, kept the Mazda6 in the US, among others.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:33 PM
Cool

Then, of course, there’s this.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:56 AM

I would've waited and bought the CX-30 if I had known I would no longer be towing my boat (which I've sold).
Now that I will no longer be towing anything my next vehicle will be an EV for sure.
But I have several years to ponder that decision as my 2020 CX-5 only has 28K miles.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:05 AM

Also if they are dropping the CX-5 -if you want to change vehicles do it before they discontinue it- resale value will be even worse. I have no desire for any type of electric vehicle. Once a week at the gas station for five minutes is perfect for me and at every corner. When the grid fails and we are all stuck, Gas cars will come back

Old 12-13-2022, 10:31 AM

Ha...
People said the same thing about the horse and wagon, cargo sailing ships, dirigibles and steam engines....
If the grid fails, they can't refine gas or pump it, or hadn't you contemplated that?
Reminds of the two "preppers" I worked with.
Should've seen the look on their faces when I said how long you going to live without your medications and your insulin?
The fact that their required medications would no longer be available never entered their heads.
I'm liking the nearly instantaneous 576hp KIA EV6.

Quick Reply: How Many More Years for the Current CX-5?