Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Huge quote for decoke and EGR cooler replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 09:54 AM
Question Huge quote for decoke and EGR cooler replacement

Took my CX5 (2.2 diesel skyactiv) to the mazda dealership today as it had been coming on with engine warning lights and also going into limp mode with 'SCBS forward malfunction' when decelerating/engine braking.

Codes came back as I expected, showing engine was coked up massively, but the quote was eye watering for the repair.

Carried out initial diagnosis today.
Fault codes present:
P0101:00, P0401:00 & P06DE:00.P0401:00 EGR ‘A’ Flow insufficient detected, and visual inspection, found high build up of carbon in the intake manifold, requires decoke, and replacement of EGR cooler, plus pressure sensors and pipes.

Engine oil deteriorated, hesitation when driving

Decoke kit £192.38
EGR Cooler £712.38
Oil and filter £113.29
Exhaust gas pressure sensor kit £169.04
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor £109.22
Exhaust pressure pipe and washers £62.91
Mass Airflow Sensor £249.98
Labour to replace above parts including removal & refitting of intake manifold, EGR cooler, exhaust gas pressure sensor and pipe, and oil and filter change. £1200.00

Total not including original diagnostic £2810.00

P06DE:00 Engine Oil Pressure checked, and within spec, but due to fault code, would recommend oil strainer to be checked/replaced. Engine oil flush recommended before strip inspection.

Engine Oil Flush £27.67
Sump Sealer £12.59
Oil Strainer £45.00
Labour to carry out flush and replace Oil Strainer £930.00

Total not including original diagnostic £1015.26

So total for both repairs would be £3825.26 not including original diagnostic.
Does anyone have experience with similar codes and the cost of repairs? This is 3-5 times what I was expecting. I will get quotes from other garages, but I am hesitant to commit to such a huge bill without being sure it will fix it.

Cheers.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:35 AM

Hi there,
just wondering how you got on, I have been having warning lights coming on intermittently (scbs/tcs/tpms/e-brake) - always clear after switching ignition on and off, but becoming more frequent now. Not been into limp mode. But anyway - similar code after Mazda dealer diagnostics. Carbon clean and egr cooler replacement recommended - although I note, they give no guarantees that this will clear the intermittent warning lights that I am getting…… so £1630 quid to do the above work….. not as high as yours, but I just worry I could spend all that and still not clear the warning lights that i randomly get.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:48 AM

In the process of trying to find a garage for the carbon cleaning, one garage found the head gasket had blown too. Mazda quoted £7500 total to add head gasket to the original list. I did however find one garage able to do the head gasket and oil sump strainer (£2935) and another to do the carbon cleaning of the EGR and intake manifold (£400 plus VAT).

It is in the garage today, likely for at least a week. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-06-2024, 08:58 AM

Ahh, good luck, hope it sorts the problems out. I think I will explore the options of garages that do the carbon clean and Egr etc…… I loved my Mazda, its my second one, but feeling a bit disenchanted just now, in last 12 months already spent nearly £2000 on new brakes and discs, new battery, replacement seized calliper, plus £144 for the diagnostics at Mazda. Now all this… oh well fingers crossed this sorts it, sounds like i would be ill-advised to ignore the warnings. Many thanks

Old 06-04-2024, 07:47 AM

This is now a very frequent error on the 2.2D

Old 06-04-2024, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Croddlebopper
This is now a very frequent error on the 2.2D
Based on what facts or number comparing the total production periods? Forum and the internet is not a gathering source for fact based information like the one you are assuming in your response?

Sorry but one thing I really dislike is MISS and DISS information on a vehicle forum! Gets your facts straight before assuming things!

Old 06-04-2024, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Based on what facts or number comparing the total production periods? Forum and the internet is not a gathering source for fact based information like the one you are assuming in your response?

Sorry but one thing I really dislike is MISS and DISS information on a vehicle forum! Gets your facts straight before assuming things!
Apologies for making outrageous suggestions, I just read the forums around the world and noticed that at around 80,000 miles, the 2.2D encounters problems which are very expensive to repair due to the non specific failure mode diagnostics. Thats my opinion but its based on the information posted.
Read them yourself and you will see many avenues of work being undertaken but with no smoking gun and no obvious fix.
The forums exist to share experiences - but I do not believe for one minute anything I stated was miss-information, but I apologise if it didn’t meet your personal criteria??

Old 06-05-2024, 09:56 AM

Apologies for making outrageous suggestions, I just read the forums around the world and noticed that at around 80,000 miles, the 2.2D encounters problems which are very expensive to repair due to the non specific failure mode diagnostics. Thats my opinion but its based on the information posted.
Read them yourself and you will see many avenues of work being undertaken but with no smoking gun and no obvious fix.
The forums exist to share experiences - but I do not believe for one minute anything I stated was miss-information, but I apologies if it didn’t meet your personal criteria??
yes and you are repeating less then statistical facts again! Most forums are WORLD WIDE BTW!!! So your numbers are NOT accurate when a single members like myself belongs to no less then 12 different car forums and almost ALL the MAZDA forums. If I post a response and have a different user name then that would stand in your world to be 12 counts about a subject!
At this point based on manufactured numbers it is not a concern or out of the ordinary for a large manufactured platform and model. At least at this point. Even the Pinto ran several years before they had a recall .ROLMAO!!
I suggest you take the time to try and find accurate numbers and good luck with that before becoming yet another cog in the wheel of none fact based information!

Old 06-06-2024, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
yes and you are repeating less then statistical facts again! Most forums are WORLD WIDE BTW!!! So your numbers are NOT accurate when a single members like myself belongs to no less then 12 different car forums and almost ALL the MAZDA forums. If I post a response and have a different user name then that would stand in your world to be 12 counts about a subject!
At this point based on manufactured numbers it is not a concern or out of the ordinary for a large manufactured platform and model. At least at this point. Even the Pinto ran several years before they had a recall .ROLMAO!!
I suggest you take the time to try and find accurate numbers and good luck with that before becoming yet another cog in the wheel of none fact based information!
Well Callisto, you certainly know how to welcome people, it’s obviously a special gift you have! 👏🏻

No worries, I just joined this forum but now I’m getting out of here!

I don’t have time for small minded, Stasi styled stat cops!

Now go try and find more posts you can vet and grade from your almighty throne and enjoy your small empire!

WOW!

Old 06-06-2024, 10:14 AM

Well Callisto, you certainly know how to welcome people, it’s obviously a special gift you have! 👏🏻

No worries, I just joined this forum but now I’m getting out of here!

I don’t have time for small minded, Stasi styled stat cops!

Now go try and find more posts you can vet and grade from your almighty throne and enjoy your small empire!

WOW!
First of all please post anything I have said that is not fact based or empirical in nature. Or better yet post your facts not fiction on the subject we have been interacting on?
As for your threat to leave this forum, it is your loss but in my experience you will still pop on as a quest reading threads. I am sure your I?P will show when you do?
I also want to remind you that I did tell you mind I belong to many most all Mazda forums
I am sure like a bad penny that always turns up I will we all will be seeing you posting somewhere again! lol