Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Huge Wheel Wells

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 01:21 AM
Default Huge Wheel Wells

Hi all. I'm a new proud owner of the new 2021 Signature model, which I believe might be the Canadian equivalent to the US Carbon Edition. I've had it for about 3 weeks and am enjoying it immensely BUT (you knew there was going to be a "but"), I can't get used to the wheel well space. I briefly looked at getting H&R lowering springs but I just don't know if it might hamper the ride. The current ride is slightly on the stiffer side as it is and I'm worried that it might become too stiff after installing lowering springs. Has anyone done this modification?

Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by HeebieJeebie
Hi all. I'm a new proud owner of the new 2021 Signature model, which I believe might be the Canadian equivalent to the US Carbon Edition. I've had it for about 3 weeks and am enjoying it immensely BUT (you knew there was going to be a "but"), I can't get used to the wheel well space. I briefly looked at getting H&R lowering springs but I just don't know if it might hamper the ride. The current ride is slightly on the stiffer side as it is and I'm worried that it might become too stiff after installing lowering springs. Has anyone done this modification?
I have the Carbon Edition - with the 19" wheels. I agree with you on that large wheel well space, it's large and not aesthetically appealing. I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I will guess yes, it will make the drive a bit stiffer - but may also handle a bit more responsively. Whether it's "too stiff" is a personal opinion.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:52 AM

IMHO lowering an SUV is antithetical. Ground clearance is one of the advantages of an SUV in the first place which you lose if you lower the car. I get the gap issue on sedans and sports cars but not so much on trucks and SUV's

Old 01-28-2021, 12:57 PM
BWJ

+1...

Old 01-28-2021, 01:01 PM

I totally agree that the ground clearances inherent to the SUV is what it's meant to be. In my particular case, we needed the more upright ability to climb in and out of the vehicle due to my wife's back injury. So the current desire to possibly lower the look of the vehicle, is strictly for esthetic purposes. Shameful perhaps but nevertheless, we do love our vehicles, so looks sometimes do matter.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by chickdr19
IMHO lowering an SUV is antithetical. Ground clearance is one of the advantages of an SUV in the first place which you lose if you lower the car. I get the gap issue on sedans and sports cars but not so much on trucks and SUV's
I generally agree, but "antithetical" IMHO is too strong a word. And I actually sold my A4 to get an A4 Allroad. But I also owned Q5's and a Porsche Macan and on those forums there were plenty of posts about lowering the cars via springs. It was for sure the more "enthusiastic" type drivers getting that mod done, not the "average" driver, but it was not uncommon. It was done as much for better handling as it was for looks, I'm guessing. But the CX-5 is not a performance type CUV/CUV as the others mentioned, so I'm sure that there is way less interest in doing so (OP excluded of course) with the CX-5's.