Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Intake confusion here

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 12:42 PM
Default Intake confusion here

I'm not fully understanding how the confines of the intake snorkel on a stock 2022 cx5 turbo is capable of breathing effectively when the design after the hood is closed indicates significant air flow restriction to that snorkel. I'm wondering if a member here can further explain beyond other post how this process is "effectively" occuring. It just seems to me that the design is incredibly restricted. If I were to drive with the hood off the fresh air would be slammed into the snorkel with clear and direct force but once that hood is closed there is no opening supporting a similar action. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated but a very precise explanation of the convoluted design would be especially appreciated 👍.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:35 PM

I thought so too, even went so far as to drill a couple of holes just in front of the air cleaner
intake.
Only to notice that there is a 'vent' of sorts in the bottom side of the hood that passes air
over to the air cleaner snorkel inlet.
DOH!

Old 06-10-2022, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
I thought so too, even went so far as to drill a couple of holes just in front of the air cleaner
intake.
Only to notice that there is a 'vent' of sorts in the bottom side of the hood that passes air
over to the air cleaner snorkel inlet.
DOH!

are you referring to the vent like openings located on either side of the hood latch mechanism?

Old 06-10-2022, 02:55 PM

Mazda employs a valve that changes the size of the exhaust ports sending air to the turbo depending on engine speed.
Mazda designed the turbo to work with the air intake set-up you get from the factory.
Messing with that design will likely result in more issues than pluses.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Mazda employs a valve that changes the size of the exhaust ports sending air to the turbo depending on engine speed.
Mazda designed the turbo to work with the air intake set-up you get from the factory.
Just my 2 cents.
Honestly I wouldn't alter the vehicle beyond factory. Was just curious.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:07 PM

LOL there is plenty of air. it just looks like it when you open the hood and think WTF. In fact the air charge has very little air flow restriction and can flow more then the CFM of the engine itself. There are 2 chambers on the oem air box that helps control the intake air charge This is why if you go with an aftermarket IAT it is more then likely your air charge temperature's will increase instead of decrease. The main problem with the so called CAI is they are designed for more then 65% throttle plate angle be close to effective. You can see by watching IATs with and without those so called CAI they just don't work as there abbreviated names implies. CAI Cold Air Intake.
During the engineering and development stages of a different air intake system for the MAZDA I measured the OE box air flow useing my Dwyer Magnehelic air pressure flow meter and confirmed the CFM flow.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-10-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
LOL there is plenty of air. it just looks like it when you open the hood and think WTF. In fact the air charge has very little air flow restriction and can flow more then the CFM of the engine itself. There are 2 chambers on the oem air box that helps control the intake air charge This is why if you go with an aftermarket IAT it is more then likely your air charge temperature's will increase instead of decrease. The main problem with the so called CAI is they are designed for more then 65% throttle plate angle be close to effective. You can see by watching IATs with and without those so called CAI they just don't work as there abbreviated names implies. CAI Cold Air Intake.
During the engineering and development stages of a different air intake system for the MAZDA I measured the OE box air flow useing my Dwyer Magnehelic air pressure flow meter and confirmed the CFM flow.
Yeppers! I was like WTF how is this thing breathing when it does appear as if it is the equivalent of sprinting a 1/4 mile with tape over your mouth. I mean, Im sure that there is some kind of engineering voodoo but can't see exactly how it is functioning and I guess that that is the magic of it all.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:18 PM

Just my 2 cents.
Not necessarily but you would need to understand all aspect of the modifications needed to be successful. With my current Cork Sport (modified) CAI at mid to WOT throtle I get a colder air charge, or at least equal the ambientes. But lower engine speeds the higher IATs sacrifice power yet ever so slightly improved my MPG . The down fall is as the ambientes increase above 90F the IAT can reach 120F+ at lower engine speeds and less then 40% throttle plate angle. The ECU struggles to compensate for the higher IAT. I have partially helped by going into the ECU and turning off computer radiator fan control and opt for my own manual/auto control. Once I get my intake charge system installed my IAT will never be above the ambientes.

Originally Posted by 110101001
Honestly I wouldn't alter the vehicle beyond factory. Was just curious.
I did to support the engine power augmentation I added. But I have not yet installed my intake air filter and charge system yet. I am still using a aftermarket CAI but with modifications.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-10-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:25 PM

When you live in Maine like me, you get all the cold air you need with very little intake...

Old 06-10-2022, 04:32 PM

When you live in Maine like me, you get all the cold air you need with very little intake...
you know thats a great point!!!!! lol

Hey I was born in Bangor

Quick Reply: Intake confusion here