Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Interior Lighting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 AM
Default Interior Lighting Questions

WE have a new CX5 GT, and enjoy the car, other than the radio controls. But I have a couple of questions - is there an interior light, for the liftgate? Is there a way to extend, how long the interior lights, stay on, after the engine is turned off? Thank you

Old 01-24-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowdart69
is there an interior light, for the liftgate? Is there a way to extend, how long the interior lights, stay on, after the engine is turned off?
In the 2016.5 CX-5 GT, at least, yes. It's in here: Home --> Settings --> Vehicle --> Lighting. In there, you can control timing settings for the interior lights, including when first entering the car, turning off the engine, opening a door, etc.

Yes, there's an interior light inside the lift gate itself. On the 2016.5, it has a little toggle button for turning that light off or on. If on, opening the lift gate operates the light.

In the 2016.5 Owner's Manual, under the section labeled "Personalization Features." It'll describe the various controls for settings you have, using the console display screen and the toggle wheel.

Uncertain which specific model you have. But you can find the manuals for the models online at MazdaUSA: How To Use My Mazda.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:34 PM

I assume you have a 2021 CX5 GT? If so you have a switch on the tailgate light as the previous posted mentioned. Open the tailgate and look on the drivers side above your head. I recommend replacing the stock bulb with and LED which gives much better output (also for the overhead lights inside).

Old 01-25-2021, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I assume you have a 2021 CX5 GT? If so you have a switch on the tailgate light as the previous posted mentioned. Open the tailgate and look on the drivers side above your head. I recommend replacing the stock bulb with and LED which gives much better output (also for the overhead lights inside).
So if I am old and blind, and find the light in the tailgate inadequate, being swallowed up by the black interior, is there a solution for more light in the cargo area. In our 2014, this was solved with a panel style LED festoon replacement for the interior light in the drivers side of the compartment. I realize the Gen2 CX-5 try to solve the lighting issue by putting a light in the interior of tailgate so it is shining down on the cargo area. I just don't find it bright enough.

Anyone done any mods?

Old 01-25-2021, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
So if I am old and blind, and find the light in the tailgate inadequate, being swallowed up by the black interior, is there a solution for more light in the cargo area. In our 2014, this was solved with a panel style LED festoon replacement for the interior light in the drivers side of the compartment. I realize the Gen2 CX-5 try to solve the lighting issue by putting a light in the interior of tailgate so it is shining down on the cargo area. I just don't find it bright enough.

Anyone done any mods?
Yep. LED festoon will work great. Very happy with mine.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:25 PM

According to my owner's manual, the lift gate bulb is already a LED.

Here's one source for LED bulbs similar to what Madza uses in the lift gate.
Problem is I have no idea which SIZE is used in the lift gate.

http://www.autolumination.com/festoon.htm

Last edited by Dennis Wendt; 01-25-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
According to my owner's manual, the lift gate bulb is already a LED.

Here's one source for LED bulbs similar to what Madza uses in the lift gate.
Problem is I have no idea which SIZE is used in the lift gate.

Festoon Dome LED Lights Bulbs | Autolumination
On my 2019 GT it was incandescent. Just like the other interior bulbs. The manual may be talking about the license plate bulbs which are LED and are also in the lift gate.

Last edited by chickdr19; 01-25-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:39 PM

My Mazda, is a 2020. I never noticed the light in the liftgate! I guess it was always off! Thank you, and yes, I feel stupid .I'll look at the delayed lighting, next. does anyone know if the Active Driving Display, can be permanently turned off? At this time, we are having to turn it off, each time the car is used.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:54 PM

The picture shows the lift gate light.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowdart69
My Mazda, is a 2020. does anyone know if the Active Driving Display, can be permanently turned off? At this time, we are having to turn it off, each time the car is used.
Review your owner's manual.

You can find it online if you don't have one.

Owner's Manual (online), for 2020 CX-5 (PDF file) @ MazdaUSA.com.

In short:

For the Active Driving Display @ pp 4-58 to 4-60 -- Each setting/adjustment for the active driving display can be performed on the centerdisplay:
  1. Select the icon on the home screen and display the Settings screen.
  2. Select the AD-Disp tab.
  3. Select the desired item and perform the setting/adjustment.

And the various personalization settings.

Notable areas to review, so you know how to change the settings:
  • Personalization Features @ pp 9-11 to 9-17.
    • > Active Driving Display -- can change so the ADD is not displayed (OFF: ON / OFF).
    • > Active Driving Display -- can display or not display Nav Guidance (ON: ON / OFF).
    • > 360º View Monitor -- can display when ignition is switched to "on" (OFF: ON / OFF).
    • > 360º View Monitor -- display forward line of progress (ON: ON / OFF).
    • > Fuel Economy Monitor / Ending display -- display / non-display (OFF: ON / OFF).
  • Operating the "Active Driving Display" @ p 4-58.
  • Operating the Center Display Screen" @ p 5-76.
  • 360º View Monitor @ p 4-181.

I hope that helps.

Definitely read, then re-read, the Owner's Manual and all the relevant sections that describe altering the settings. There are a lot of settings you can tweak. Once you've been through the commonly-used ones a few times, it'll be second-nature.

Quick Reply: Interior Lighting Questions