Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Interior Lighting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
The picture shows the lift gate light.
Maybe in the Signature version? I know it has LED's as standard all over.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 PM

My manual doesn't specify between models. It might have been an
up grade for the 2020 model year.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
So if I am old and blind, and find the light in the tailgate inadequate, being swallowed up by the black interior, is there a solution for more light in the cargo area. In our 2014, this was solved with a panel style LED festoon replacement for the interior light in the drivers side of the compartment. I realize the Gen2 CX-5 try to solve the lighting issue by putting a light in the interior of tailgate so it is shining down on the cargo area. I just don't find it bright enough.

Anyone done any mods?
I have a 2021 CX5 Sig and I’m old and blind so my solution is a little different. My CX5 already has LED bulbs in the rear light fixture. Usually this is enough light but not in every case. So I installed a 4” Rechargeable LED portable light with 3 light settings plus emergency / SOS flashing modes. On high, the light has 120 Lumens and is attached to the trunk area with installed magnets. So the light can be grabbed and used elsewhere. It is charged via USB cable and cost $20 for a pack of two at Home Depot.

Last edited by Harmbru; 02-08-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Harmbru
I have a 2021 CX5 Sig and I’m old and blind so my solution is a little different. My CX5 already has LED bulbs in the rear light fixture. Usually this is enough light but not in every case. So I installed a 4” Rechargeable LED portable light with 3 light settings plus emergency / SOS flashing modes. On high, the light has 120 Lumens and is attached to the trunk area with installed magnets. So the light can be grabbed and used elsewhere. It is charged via USB cable and cost $20 for a pack of two at Home Depot.

That is a great idea. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowdart69
My Mazda, is a 2020. I never noticed the light in the liftgate! I guess it was always off! Thank you, and yes, I feel stupid .I'll look at the delayed lighting, next. does anyone know if the Active Driving Display, can be permanently turned off? At this time, we are having to turn it off, each time the car is used.
if you have a 2020 cx5, then yes the Active Driving Display (HUD) can be turned off. Below is a list of HUD adjustments that can be made in the “ Screen Settings” section via the controller on the console.Each setting/adjustment for the active driving display can be performed on the center display.
  1. Select the Name:  jbma_bt31.png
Views: 1357
Size:  389 Bytes icon on the home screen and display the Settings screen.
  2. Select the AD-Disp tab.
  3. Select the desired item and perform the setting/adjustment.
    • Method for adjusting screen brightness (automatically/manually)
    • Screen brightness initial settings (automatic adjustment is selected)
    • Screen brightness adjustment (manual adjustment is selected)
    • Display position of active driving display (display height)
    • Active driving display angle adjustment (display angle correction)
    • Active driving display ON/OFF (indication)
    • Navigation guidance ON/OFF
    • Reset settings (reset)

Old 02-10-2021, 06:34 AM

My Mazda, is a 2020. I never noticed the light in the liftgate! I guess it was always off! Thank you, and yes, I feel stupid .I'll look at the delayed lighting, next. does anyone know if the Active Driving Display, can be permanently turned off? At this time, we are having to turn it off, each time the car is used.
My last car had the Heads Up Display and I miss it for sure on my CX-5. I'm curious, why would you want it permanently turned off?

Old 02-10-2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
My last car had the Heads Up Display and I miss it for sure on my CX-5. I'm curious, why would you want it permanently turned off?
ive had a HUD in my corvettes since 1998 and absolutely love that option. It was a must have option for me but my wife never used it. When she got her CX5 GT w/premium package, I challenged her to use it for a week in different driving conditions, city, highway, day, night, etc. she could then turn it off if she didn’t like it. Let’s just say she uses it all the time and promotes the feature when talking about her car. For us it’s a keeper option.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:37 PM

My wife hates it. She finds it too distracting. - it's her car.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:04 PM

My wife hates it. She finds it too distracting. - it's her car.
I found it very helpful and unobtrusive. Surely a case of to each his/her own. No right or wrong here.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:55 AM

In addition to the LED light in the liftgate of my 2019 Signature, I bought an LED light that's also motion detecting. So the light only comes on when it detects motion like when the liftgate opens and I'm moving back there.
I attached it to the underside of the hatch cover.

Quick Reply: Interior Lighting Questions