Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Intermittent 'chime' sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Question Intermittent 'chime' sound

2021 CX5 Turbo, 16K miles. I'm getting an intermittent 'chime/bell' noise when driving. Similar to the fasten seatbelt sound but coming from the center of the dash. No notification lights, no correlation to speed.
I've been through the systems menu looking for notification alerts with no success.
Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Default Lane departure

Originally Posted by BobW
2021 CX5 Turbo, 16K miles. I'm getting an intermittent 'chime/bell' noise when driving. Similar to the fasten seatbelt sound but coming from the center of the dash. No notification lights, no correlation to speed.
I've been through the systems menu looking for notification alerts with no success.
Any ideas?
Lane departure or blind spot ? Although they have a different sound . If you cruise on by your Mazda dealer and ask the service department ,they will sort you out .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 02-09-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
My be your lane departure .
Don't think so. In addition to the dash lights warning, I also have the steering wheel vibration enabled. That system is working normally. It also occurs on my 2 lane road without any centerline.

Old 02-09-2023, 03:00 PM

Mazda's warning sounds are confusing and don't seem designed to relate to any activities with which they may be paired.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:22 PM

Any ideas?
Do you have the 10.5" display? If so, check the System Information to see what software version you are running. If it is 11038 or earlier, this could be part of a software glitch that was fixed in 11046 and later. Here are the release notes for 11046:

(Ver. 7000C0A-NA03_11046) fixes these software errors (bugs):
• The vehicle icon rotates when using the navigation with head-up mode.
• The system reboots when operating the audio source screen.
• If another incoming call comes in immediately after the hands-free call is ended, it is automatically accepted.
• Audio tracks stop playing or are muted when playing them using the Apple CarPlayTM.
• The system may reboot.
A beep sounds after every couple of minutes.
• Language setting may not be accepted correctly.
• The screen shows “Phone in use” message and it stops playing audio tracks while playing audio tracks
using CarPlayTM and refusing the incoming call.
• The audio track may not pause when pressing the mute button.
• The screen freezes when smartphone receives messages under Bluetooth® connection.
• The system does not resume a play list after editing it for an USB audio device.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Do you have the 10.5" display? If so, check the System Information to see what software version you are running. If it is 11038 or earlier, this could be part of a software glitch that was fixed in 11046 and later. Here are the release notes for 11046:

(Ver. 7000C0A-NA03_11046) fixes these software errors (bugs):
• The vehicle icon rotates when using the navigation with head-up mode.
• The system reboots when operating the audio source screen.
• If another incoming call comes in immediately after the hands-free call is ended, it is automatically accepted.
• Audio tracks stop playing or are muted when playing them using the Apple CarPlayTM.
• The system may reboot.
A beep sounds after every couple of minutes.
• Language setting may not be accepted correctly.
• The screen shows “Phone in use” message and it stops playing audio tracks while playing audio tracks
using CarPlayTM and refusing the incoming call.
• The audio track may not pause when pressing the mute button.
• The screen freezes when smartphone receives messages under Bluetooth® connection.
• The system does not resume a play list after editing it for an USB audio device.
Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:22 AM

Any ideas?
Check your Speed Alert. It goes off when 10 MPH over the setting with Chime.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by RonBeck
Check your Speed Alert. It goes off when 10 MPH over the setting with Chime.
Another great suggestion--I forgot about this. And it's configurable for +0, +5, or +10 (at least on my '23 Signature) so it could be happening at any of those thresholds, although I assume if you're only hearing it every so often it's probably set at +10.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:49 PM

Not the speed alert,it happens from 15 to 70 mph!
My software is version 11022. I tells me there is no newer update available!
Gracenote Database is 1.1.1.02071. When I ask to update I get system error message, can't connect.
I'll contact the dealer next week.......

Old 02-10-2023, 04:06 PM

The over-the-air update has yet to be functional. The current version is 11048. My 2021 came with 11022; I've updated it to 11038, 11040, & 11048.
You have the latest Gracenote

Quick Reply: Intermittent 'chime' sound