Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Default Key Fob

My wife and I are on our first long trip with our 2019 CX 5 GT and we noticed a strange occurrence with the key fobs. This is the first time we have had both key fobs in the car at the same time and we are getting a notice that the battery in the fob is low.

I can use either of the 2 fobs independently without the message but as soon as both of them are in the car I get the battery low message on the dashboard.

Has anybody else seen this issue?

Old 08-22-2020, 03:06 PM

This is interesting. I encountered this only when one key was in the car. As soon as I changed the battery of that key the message went away.

I would suggest to use only one of the keys for a while maybe a week or so and see if the message appears. If not, then try the other key only. So you can isolate which of the keys has the low battery.

Or better, if you have a multi-meter, you can measure the voltage of the batteries of both key fobs and determine which one has the low voltage.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:39 PM

When applicable and DIY able:
Why not change the batteries in both the FOBs?

Maybe me but even when I change things like the smoke detectors, DVD,TV Surround system remotes, Flashlights, diagnostic testing equipment and YUP all the remotes from all the cars, I tend to change all of them as groups rather then a single units. But that just me.

Many start problem can be found to be when people failed to change their FOB batteries. I have had customers that owned cars for a couple 3 years and when the engine didn't start had it towed in the shop only for me to find that it needed a 5 dollar battery. LOL

Old 08-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
When applicable and DIY able:
Why not change the batteries in both the FOBs?

Maybe me but even when I change things like the smoke detectors, DVD,TV Surround system remotes, Flashlights, diagnostic testing equipment and YUP all the remotes from all the cars, I tend to change all of them as groups rather then a single units. But that just me.

Many start problem can be found to be when people failed to change their FOB batteries. I have had customers that owned cars for a couple 3 years and when the engine didn't start had it towed in the shop only for me to find that it needed a 5 dollar battery. LOL
I agree with this on replacing both key fob batteries at once. I do it with the four smoke detectors in my house as well. As soon as one gives a warning, I just replace the batteries in all four.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:11 AM

If both fobs are going to be in the car, wrap one of them in aluminum foil or place in a RF shielded pouch so the car does not get confused.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:57 AM

lol..... ^^^ I think I read somewhere that was a way to prevent getting abducted by Aliens. lol
Then again maybe I saw it on MacGyver ? LOL
I know my MAZDA' with its AI (artificial intelligence)
capabilities would most certainly help to prevent it from being confused. lol

Last edited by Callisto; 08-27-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by samiam_68
If both fobs are going to be in the car, wrap one of them in aluminum foil or place in a RF shielded pouch so the car does not get confused.
Not a bad idea to isolate the problem effectively causing an RF cage around the key fob.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
lol..... ^^^ I think I read somewhere that was a way to prevent getting abducted by Aliens. lol
Then again maybe I saw it on MacGyver ? LOL
I know my MAZDA' with its AI (artificial intelligence)
capabilities would most certainly help to prevent it from being confused. lol
No man. You have it all wrong. You'll need to wrap your head in aluminum foil to prevent an abduction by Aliens (foil hats do work but offer no protection from below or from a side scan). Well, truthfully it won't prevent an abduction but it GREATLY reduces the chances of an abduction.

It is known.

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 08-30-2020 at 10:51 AM.