Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Key fob sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 11:38 AM
Default Key fob sensitivity

2021 CX-5 - key fob is way too sensitive. Lat year, I found my trunk open unexpectedly a few times. Apparently a wee bit too sensitive. So, I bought one of those leather key fob covers, but seems that didn't work too well either. Now, there's a scratch on my trunk, because the trunk opened while in my garage and hit a metal bolt. Anyhow, I called a few Mazda dealers and asked i they could adjust the fob's sensitivity by changing to a 3 second hold as to avoid this issue. No go on that. I had the same thing with my Audi and that's how they fixed the problem. I think its a very poor and dangerous design issue. I'm going to look for a better/harder case, but what was Mazda thinking?

Old 12-27-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
because the trunk opened while in my garage and hit a metal bolt.
The trunk opened when the FOB was within your pocket ?

Old 12-27-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by CMX5
The trunk opened when the FOB was within your pocket ?
Yes. Never happened with any other car that I have had, except my Audi, which was fixed with an adjustment to the fob.

Last edited by bobm; 12-27-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:37 PM

2021 CX-5 - key fob is way too sensitive. Lat year, I found my trunk open unexpectedly a few times. Apparently a wee bit too sensitive. So, I bought one of those leather key fob covers, but seems that didn't work too well either. Now, there's a scratch on my trunk, because the trunk opened while in my garage and hit a metal bolt. Anyhow, I called a few Mazda dealers and asked i they could adjust the fob's sensitivity by changing to a 3 second hold as to avoid this issue. No go on that. I had the same thing with my Audi and that's how they fixed the problem. I think its a very poor and dangerous design issue. I'm going to look for a better/harder case, but what was Mazda thinking?
I agree. I hate this key fob. I think the buttons are too small. Those tiny buttons are very delicate. Sometimes I accidentally depress buttons just while entering or exiting the car when the FOB is in my hand. For some reason, I never had this problem with any of my prior vehicles.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:26 AM

Enclosing the FOB within a case may help reduce or eliminate inadvertent pressing of the buttons.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:11 PM

Enclosing the FOB within a case may help reduce or eliminate inadvertent pressing of the buttons.

I bought a leather cover months ago, but offered little protection against accidental openings. Yours looks like there is a covering over the buttons, correct? Do you have a link for your cover?

Old 12-28-2021, 03:56 PM

I bought a leather cover months ago, but offered little protection against accidental openings. Yours looks like there is a covering over the buttons, correct? Do you have a link for your cover?
In the photo I uploaded there is a red neoprene case and also a red hard plastic case, both types cover the buttons. At Amazon using the search terms Mazda CX-5 FOB case lots of options are revealed, including the two types which I have. Below is the direct link to one of them:

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-28-2021, 04:23 PM

In the photo I uploaded there is a red neoprene case and also a red hard plastic case, both types cover the buttons. At Amazon using the search terms Mazda CX-5 FOB case lots of options are revealed, including the two types which I have. Below is the direct link to one of them:

https://www.amazon.com/QBUC-Protecto...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Thanks. I just placed my order.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:02 PM

Thanks Guys
I will definitely get one.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:16 AM

Same exact thing happened to me several weeks ago. I too asked about changing the key fob sensitivity and they said the same thing. No-go. We've had other Mazdas with the old design and I never ever had an accidental opening with those. Now we have a nasty scratch on the liftgate where it scraped the arm on the garage door. Hate does not begin to describe my feelings about the current fob.

Quick Reply: Key fob sensitivity