Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Key fob sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by taran1900
Same exact thing happened to me several weeks ago. I too asked about changing the key fob sensitivity and they said the same thing. No-go. We've had other Mazdas with the old design and I never ever had an accidental opening with those. Now we have a nasty scratch on the liftgate where it scraped the arm on the garage door. Hate does not begin to describe my feelings about the current fob.
Same exact thing here- scraped the garage door bolt while the key was in my pocket. If I was a more litigious man, I'd start a class action suit....well maybe not, but this is an extremely poor design and the fact that they can't fix it by a quick fob reprogram is unacceptable.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:54 PM

My 2019 CX-5 allows the lift height to be adjusted using the close button on the lid. IF your 21 can do this, perhaps you can at least keep it from hitting your garage door or whatever is hanging from above.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
2021 CX-5 - key fob is way too sensitive. Lat year, I found my trunk open unexpectedly a few times. Apparently a wee bit too sensitive. So, I bought one of those leather key fob covers, but seems that didn't work too well either. Now, there's a scratch on my trunk, because the trunk opened while in my garage and hit a metal bolt. Anyhow, I called a few Mazda dealers and asked i they could adjust the fob's sensitivity by changing to a 3 second hold as to avoid this issue. No go on that. I had the same thing with my Audi and that's how they fixed the problem. I think its a very poor and dangerous design issue. I'm going to look for a better/harder case, but what was Mazda thinking?
OMG the same thing happened to me. I found my trunk opened several times and now I have scratches from opening my garage door too.
I am going to Mazda dealership this week. It is way too sensitive. Also my app does not tell me that the trunk is opened.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by debm204
OMG the same thing happened to me. I found my trunk opened several times and now I have scratches from opening my garage door too.
I am going to Mazda dealership this week. It is way too sensitive. Also my app does not tell me that the trunk is opened.
You have to press and hold the button for a couple of seconds for the hatch to open, unlike the lock/unlock buttons that only need a click. It sounds like you keep the fob in a crowded pocket or bag where things keep holding the button down...

Old 02-28-2024, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
You have to press and hold the button for a couple of seconds for the hatch to open, unlike the lock/unlock buttons that only need a click. It sounds like you keep the fob in a crowded pocket or bag where things keep holding the button down...
No that is not true. I had my key fob in the cup holder--just took it out and my trunk popped open. Another time I locked the doors walked away and put the key in my jacket pocket (nothing else was in the pocket) and someone caught me and told me my trunk was opened.
This is happening way too much. I have been very mindful of it and keep checking my trunk and it still happens. There is definitely a problem with the sensitivity. Go on Reddit -- a lot of complaints there too.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by debm204
No that is not true. I had my key fob in the cup holder--just took it out and my trunk popped open. Another time I locked the doors walked away and put the key in my jacket pocket (nothing else was in the pocket) and someone caught me and told me my trunk was opened.
This is happening way too much. I have been very mindful of it and keep checking my trunk and it still happens. There is definitely a problem with the sensitivity. Go on Reddit -- a lot of complaints there too.
The buttons on the key fob can sometimes get jammed too. Maybe take it apart like you would for changing the battery and put it back together.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:20 PM

It's an issue. PERIOD. I shouldn't have to be going through this with a new car. I have scratches on my trunk because my trunk was opened and we
opened the garage door w/o knowing it was opened. Also, I never got a notification on my app that trunk was opened.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
I bought a leather cover months ago, but offered little protection against accidental openings. Yours looks like there is a covering over the buttons, correct? Do you have a link for your cover?
I had a neoprene one and it was hard to activate even when you wanted to use it

Old 02-29-2024, 11:18 AM

Not sure what is going on, but I've never had an issue with "errant button pressing" and I don't have a case.
When using the vehicle, I keep the fob in my left front pants/shorts pocket as there is little room for it to move around, especially if you are setting down.
I also never keep anything else in that pocket.
The FOB only leaves my pocket when I'm out of the vehicle and usually several feet away from it.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Not sure what is going on, but I've never had an issue with "errant button pressing" and I don't have a case.
When using the vehicle, I keep the fob in my left front pants/shorts pocket as there is little room for it to move around, especially if you are setting down.
I also never keep anything else in that pocket.
The FOB only leaves my pocket when I'm out of the vehicle and usually several feet away from it.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Key fob sensitivity