Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

LED back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Default LED back up lights

Has anyone upgraded their 2017-19 back up lights to LED'S? I've done it to my other vehicles, and think it's a great safety mod.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by JJNEG39
Has anyone upgraded their 2017-19 back up lights to LED'S? I've done it to my other vehicles, and think it's a great safety mod.
The back up lights on my GT are LED from the factory (maybe this is only on the GT and above?). What I suggest is to go with LED rear turn signals though. Night and day difference in brightness from stock. I don't understand why the CX-5 uses incandescent turn signals all the way around while the Mazda 3 has full LED.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 PM
Default Just replace your Incandescent back up bulb with LED one...

I just bought a used 2016.5 CX5 with full LED headlights, DRL and Fog lights in front and full LED rear lights except the turn signal and back up lights still the old incandescent ones !!!!!!! , why stopping there? and not giving us the complete LED setup?????? Since my car is still a CPO car I wont be upgrading them anytime soon but I just swapped the regular back up light bulbs with LED ones and the results are outstanding at night. Not only the backup camera is much clearer at night, but also the much stronger and brighter light will get the attention of anyone behind me while I am backing up. $15 upgrade is totally worth it.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:26 AM

After tinting the rear window the back up illumination even with upgraded LEDs in my Mazda were useless. LOL
So for aesthetic purposes I just covered them up. I have yet to be in a situation that I need to light the rear area to back up... YET! Notto say at some point it may happen but going on over 4 years now with no back up lights and no "accident"!
But YES on other of my vehicles I do have high intensity LED bulbs in the reverse sockets.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:05 PM
Default LED backup lights

Originally Posted by JJNEG39
My 2017 cx-5 came with LED backup bulbs. They are very bright and worth the upgrade. I have one not working and have no idea how to access it to replace it. I do have mechanical ability and had 3 auto mechanics look at it. Nobody seems to know. Any ideas?

Old 12-28-2022, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mrl0415
My 2017 cx-5 came with LED backup bulbs. They are very bright and worth the upgrade. I have one not working and have no idea how to access it to replace it. I do have mechanical ability and had 3 auto mechanics look at it. Nobody seems to know. Any ideas?
If they were factory LED's (which I suspect the '17 onward has) you won't be able to swap a bulb. To me one of the downfalls of factory LED's is if a part of one goes out (as you will see on many cars with long strips of LED's as they age - i.e. older Cadillac DTS sedans and Dodge Chargers) your only recourse is to replace the unit - unless there are folks around who will refurbish the lights...