Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

manual transmission fluid change weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024 | 08:33 AM
|
Default manual transmission fluid change weirdness

Hi all-

We've owned a 2015 CX-5 2.0L + manual transmission since new. It has been a very good car.

Bought wife a new KIA Carnival (yes, that is the worst named car on the planet!), so I've started driving the Mazda.

It's nearing 100K miles, so I've been doing fluid changes to increase my vehicular karma.

From what I've read online, the manual transmission on the CX-5 takes 1.75 quarts.

Sure enough, I drained out approx 1.75 quarts.

To my surprise, 1.75 quarts of new fluid (Redline MTL) did not bring fluid level to the fill plug opening on side of transmission!?!

I've done lots of lube changes in transmissions, differentials, etc, and (if no dipsitick) I've never seen a gear box that you didn't top up to the bottom of the fill plug opening. If not that, and if no dipstick, how to check fluid level???

In the end, I went ahead and added the full two quarts of MTL that I had purchased. That brought fluid level *near*, but not quite to the fill plug opening. So I guess since I'm somewhere between a little high (more than 1.75Q) and a little low (below fill plug opening), I must be right on the money.

Did some Google'ing, and have found next to nothing on manual transmission fluid changes for CX-5.

Thought I'd post in case others have seen (or see in the future) the same weirdness...

Old 03-18-2024 | 09:29 AM

Manual TRANSMISSION "all" is not the same as the oil drain plug check as you are referencing to. It is actual difficult to overfill a manual transmission and if you did the most likely thing would be parasitic drag and that would relate to a very slight loss in MPG. lol.. Naturally if you fill on a incline and add over the limit considerably there is pressure that does build up in manual transmission and that may cause a slight mess of oil being discharged for you to clean up. When we do drivetrain top offs or replacement of the fluid when there is no dip stick and not an automatic, we use only want the service manual procedure states. Nothing more.

Most "ALL" fluid level service manual quantities were established from a dry unit not wet. This has caused confusion with not only DIY but mechanics for decades. This is why you.....NEVER replace by way of measuring the fluid you are changing for replacement quantities and always check the fluid levels after you add them and in the case of some fluids you need to check them with the engine on and also at a specific fluid temperature.

Old 03-18-2024 | 09:30 AM

Skid mark.. Welcome to the forum

Your user name has a couple of meanings....

LOL

Old 03-18-2024 | 01:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by Callisto
Manual TRANSMISSION "all" is not the same as the oil drain plug check as you are referencing to. It is actual difficult to overfill a manual transmission and if you did the most likely thing would be parasitic drag and that would relate to a very slight loss in MPG. lol.. Naturally if you fill on a incline and add over the limit considerably there is pressure that does build up in manual transmission and that may cause a slight mess of oil being discharged for you to clean up. When we do drivetrain top offs or replacement of the fluid when there is no dip stick and not an automatic, we use only want the service manual procedure states. Nothing more.
Thanks for the reply Callisto-

Yeah, I generally don't even bother to look at the quantity of fluid/oil that I drain out - I did so this time only after I added in the 1.75Q, and came up short from the fill plug opening. The 1.75Q drained matched the 1.75Q I found (many times) as the capacity online. Although I did have the vehicle on a pair of low ramps during the drain, I lowered it onto slab to check fluid level. Just weird that I didn't overflow the fill after adding 2Q to what should have been 1.75 capacity. In the end, the difference is one cup of fluid, so not worried, just ... annoyed.

Originally Posted by Callisto
... always check the fluid levels after you add them ...
Asking to be 100% certain: In the case of the CX-5 manual transmission, the only way to check after the fact is to fill until overflow of fill opening, right?

Thanks again for your help. I've only been coming to this site for a short while and it is already clear that you are a tremendous resource for the members here...

Mark

Last edited by skid mark; 03-18-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2024 | 02:29 PM

There is more to it but I would leave it at your 2 QT fill. You are good to go.

what are you going to do with a oil container that has 1/4 left anyway...?