Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
View Poll Results: Has your Mazda had shock mount corrosion issues? If yes, please do poll
What model Mazda?
0%
What year?
100.00%
Did you report the issue?
0%
Did the problem cause alarm?
0%
Did issue lead to safety issue?
0%
Did you contact Mazda?
0%
Did you contact Nat. Highway Traffic Safety Admin?
0%
Any feedback?
0%
What actions do you think will lead to positive results, get appropriate response from Mazda?
0%
Do you still enjoy driving your Mazda?
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Mazda CX-5 2014 Corroded shock mounts rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 12:29 AM
Exclamation Mazda CX-5 2014 Corroded shock mounts rear

Warning-caution. Beware of a possible safety hazard affecting 2014 (and possibly more recent) CX-5s. Corroded rear shock mount plate failure leading to detached shock absorbers. The CX-5 Sport, 6 speed, has about 130 k. miles.
In late August, while driving on normal slightly bumpy road in Newton Mass, there was clunk in left rear wheel well. Pulled over to diagnose cause. No obvious problem but while attempting to shake left rear wheel, a small chunk of corruded aluminum fell onto the pavement. So took vehicle to local garage. They inspected and reported the left shock was detached from the upper mount, that the upper mount had failed due to corrosion. They noted the right rear mount was also corroded. Mount plates apparently aren't available for the vehicle, so whole new shocks had to be installed, for slightly more than $400. Reported the issue to the NHTSA and to Mazda in Sept after concluding the issue was a potential safety issue.
While I think it is a recall issue, haven't heard yet whether Mazda or NHTSA thinks it is a safety issue worth a recall. Feel free to pass along info via twitter, etc.
That said, it is the first and only major problem I've had with what otherwise has been an excellent, fun drivers car.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

This isn't the first incident of this happening, as it has actually happened on other Mazdas that use this design of rear mount. We pulled the rear shocks on our CX-5 after 61k miles and the mount was fine, however the car isn't exposed to any salt as we don't get snow here in Southern California. I've attached a picture of the stock mount below from our car for reference:

I was able to find the mount itself (Non OE Mazda) for sale, but the fact that Mazda is packaging them as a set together with dampers together suggests that Mazda wants to have them both changed at the same time. What mileage did you have the shocks changed before they broke?

Old 10-24-2021, 12:57 PM

so I've had this with my brothers 2010 Mazda 3.. they both broke ( ears on the mounts broke off ). I have a 2015 CX5 up here in Townsend MA with 126k miles. My passenger side shock was making a chirping noise. Be ready for a nightmare when you goto replace them! the bottom mount inner sleeve bushing gets welded onto the stud ! I was able to thread the entire stud with sleeve still on it, but it was a total bitch!. Now I'm not seeing these studs on mazdaparts online sites. They only show a bolt which is not how it goes. I'm visiting my local Mazda dealer in the morning to see what they have available. Also doing a front wheel bearing hub assembly.. this thing is killing me lately.