Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 2014 turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 04:32 AM
Default Mazda CX-5 2014 turbo replacement

Hi, hope someone on here can give me any insight on what is going on with my car.
About 6 weeks ago I had Mazda perform the recall on the car for the possible build up of carbon deposits in the intake shutter valve and reprogramming the ECU.
Ever since I have had an intermittent issue with poor acceleration it would usually resolve itself and wouldn't miss a beat for a week or two.
A few days ago it did it again so I took it to my local mechanic to see what the issue was.
Even though the air filter and fuel filter had recently been replaced he replaced them again.
He couldn't see any codes and was struggling to find the issue.
I mentioned to him the work that Mazda had done six weeks earlier and he suggested I take it to them as it may be related.
Mazda looked at the car today and told me that the booster sensor had failed and I could pick up the car at no charge as it was related to the recall work.
After spending $30 on an uber to pick up the car I drove about 10km noticing that the car wasn't any better and still lacked acceleration.
To make it worse now when I slowed down the transmission dropped gears down that quickly I nearly went through the windscreen.
It also had two dash lights on the low tyre pressure and anti skid lights. (Transmission and dash lights hadn't been an issue before the new work)
I returned the car to Mazda and took it for a test drive with the mechanic as luck would have it the lights on the dash didn't come back on and the transmission didn't play up but there is still a lag of about 10 seconds in acceleration after you push the accelerator down. (Turbo not kicking in???????)
I got a call later today and they tell me my turbo is shot and a replacement could cost $4000 and a two week wait.
The car has done about 85000 kms
Has anyone had this problem and can it be related to the work performed in the recall?
They are going to ask Mazda to come to the party with the repair but are doubtful that they will.
any help advice appreciated don't need this just before xmas

Old 12-15-2020, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

100% contact Mazda Australia direct, cry poor, cry brand loyalty, complain that this has only happened since the recall. Very high chance your turbo will be covered under extended warranty/customer goodwill.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:52 PM

Good day Faza,

Did you get sorted out?

I have a similar issue with my Mazda Cx5

Any leads to what the issues are will be highly appreciated.

Thank you Sir.

Originally Posted by Faza
Hi, hope someone on here can give me any insight on what is going on with my car.
About 6 weeks ago I had Mazda perform the recall on the car for the possible build up of carbon deposits in the intake shutter valve and reprogramming the ECU.
Ever since I have had an intermittent issue with poor acceleration it would usually resolve itself and wouldn't miss a beat for a week or two.
A few days ago it did it again so I took it to my local mechanic to see what the issue was.
Even though the air filter and fuel filter had recently been replaced he replaced them again.
He couldn't see any codes and was struggling to find the issue.
I mentioned to him the work that Mazda had done six weeks earlier and he suggested I take it to them as it may be related.
Mazda looked at the car today and told me that the booster sensor had failed and I could pick up the car at no charge as it was related to the recall work.
After spending $30 on an uber to pick up the car I drove about 10km noticing that the car wasn't any better and still lacked acceleration.
To make it worse now when I slowed down the transmission dropped gears down that quickly I nearly went through the windscreen.
It also had two dash lights on the low tyre pressure and anti skid lights. (Transmission and dash lights hadn't been an issue before the new work)
I returned the car to Mazda and took it for a test drive with the mechanic as luck would have it the lights on the dash didn't come back on and the transmission didn't play up but there is still a lag of about 10 seconds in acceleration after you push the accelerator down. (Turbo not kicking in???????)
I got a call later today and they tell me my turbo is shot and a replacement could cost $4000 and a two week wait.
The car has done about 85000 kms
Has anyone had this problem and can it be related to the work performed in the recall?
They are going to ask Mazda to come to the party with the repair but are doubtful that they will.
any help advice appreciated don't need this just before xmas

Old 04-27-2022, 08:36 PM

The OP hasn’t been back to the forum since 2020, he won’t see your question. Too bad, I’d like to know too.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:37 PM

For what it's worth, turbo chargers can be rebuilt. New bearings, seals and balancing and a good cleaning and
it's like new again.
Not sure how to find someone that does this though. Ask around. Often more labor involved in digging
it out and putting it back in.

I would suggest asking MB or BMW mechanics for guidance, maybe VW as well.
My 2¢

Last edited by Dennis Wendt; 04-29-2022 at 10:48 PM.