Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

MAZDA CX 5 - Engine Failure due to garage ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 12:17 PM
Default MAZDA CX 5 - Engine Failure due to garage ?

Hi.

So I had a few lights come up on my Mazda and during an inspection it turned out it needed a new Turbo and a vacuum pump and break pressure sensor ( it was lacking power when the lights came up ) , when the car was apparently repaired it would not start. So the garage took it back and suspected it had a issues with the timing chain. So eventfully got it towed to Mazda and when it arrived the cover was off the top of the engine and most of engine bits were in the back , so they said they could not really help without putting it back together and then no guarantee they could see the actual issue (about £1k's worth of work) but they suspected the below ( in the quotes) and wanted £10k+ for a new engine. So I then took it for a 2nd opinion on what had happened and basically got the same response that it was knickered , but we also noticed that there had been putty put on the intercooler. So it went in for a Turbo and came out needing a new engine. I have owned the Mazda sine new and never authorised any kind of putty to fix what I can only suspect is a hole.

Car is a 2014 - Mazda CX-5 DIESEL ESTATE - 2.2d Sport Nav 5dr with 66,000 miles. I am looking at a reconditioned engine , but can anyone suggest how this could have happened. I am really stuck on what to do. I have asked Mazda advice but nothing back yet. Really appreciate the help as I have gone from a good car to no car and will have to hire a car as I have a 2 y/o daughter. Original garage is basically saying its not there fault or problem , but awaiting Mazda response before I go back for an official statement.

MAZDA - Checked for engine not starting, checked timing and found to be okay. Found crankshaft not fully turning.
Removed sump. Found conrod bent in first cylinder
causing damage on engine block and crankshaft and oil pump.

Suspected too much oil return from intercoole causing conrod to bend.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:23 PM

If 'chain of custody' is as described, it certainly sounds like the independent garage/mechanic owes you an engine. My $.02 You have my sympathies.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by daven
If 'chain of custody' is as described, it certainly sounds like the independent garage/mechanic owes you an engine. My $.02 You have my sympathies.
Well I have sent an email to the Mazda dealer to ask about the putty. Then I have to idea where I go to prove anything. I am really stuck as I cant seem to get a answer on how this has happened or is it just bad luck.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:31 AM

Sounds like a job for an attorney.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:50 AM

My guess is that the first garage misdiagnosed the lack of power as a turbo failure when it was actually something wrong with cylinder #1. The bent connection rod is usually indicative of liquid in the combustion change (fuel, water, etc) which stops the piston during the compression stroke, bending the rod (this most often happens when turning the engine with the starter). Once bent, the misaligned piston can cause all sorts of issues which would throw the warning lights on from increased friction or low compression.

The putty on the cooler is suspect. Looks to possibly be JB weld. Is it rock hard? Hard to tell how long it's been on there but that's not the right way to fix a coolant leak.

As stated above, I would talk to a lawyer but if shop #1 has not yet charged you for the turbo work they did perform, I doubt you'll be able to show when the bent rod occurred, and I would assume that the issue was present before they ever touched the vehicle. They failed at their initial troubleshooting so you shouldn't have to pay for work they performed based on a bad diagnosis, but that's about the extent of your case at the moment.