Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 tailgate latch closed even though

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Default Mazda CX-5 liftgate latch closed even though the liftgate is open

Following some bad advice (so I could keep the open tailgate alarm from beeping while I transported something) I pushed the tailgate door latch to closed (while it was open). It now will not open (it thinks it is closed and double beeps when I use any of the tailgate open buttons. Double-pressing the normal unlock also does not work). So all I can do is get it close to closed.

I took the cover off the little hatch in the back, as prescribed here:

What to Do If Your Mazda CX-5 Liftgate Hatch Won't Open

But the mechanism doesn't look the same, and I don't want to force anything I don't have some understanding of.

Basically, I just need to manually open the liftgate latch. I searched elsewhere on here and didn't find anything that seemed to fit, sorries if this is a repeat. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by megagood; 11-21-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 PM

I was able to figure it out eventually, posting here for others: I closed the liftgate as far as it would go and then clicked the liftgate open button. This created brief motion on the latch that I was able to use to flip it open. Not sure I could do it reliably again, but it is all working now .

Old 10-16-2021, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by megagood
I was able to figure it out eventually, posting here for others: I closed the liftgate as far as it would go and then clicked the liftgate open button. This created brief motion on the latch that I was able to use to flip it open. Not sure I could do it reliably again, but it is all working now .
OMG THANK YOU!! You sir, are a godsend! I followed the same bad advice and you saved my day!

Old 11-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Default Manually unlock Tailgate Latch

Had the same issue with my 2021 CX-5. Lift gate was open but latch was closed. Get a flat head screwdriver and pop the access cover behind the latch. Looking Into the opening, there is a lever on the right side of the mechanism. Push this down with your finger or the screwdriver and the latch will release.

Looking through latch access opening in lift gate