Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
What Cali was saying is people can read anything they want.
We all know understanding what one reads is very subjective depending on the individual.
He also pointed out the clause that TSB's clearly state they are not for DIY.
Which is a clear example that not everyone has the same comprehension and reading skills.
What does DIY have to do with it? The point is - as an owner if you see a TSB for an issue you are experiencing on your car then you at least know it is a known issue and possibly have remedy at the dealer. How many times do you hear of people getting the "that's normal" blow off about issues they have? The fact we can see these TSB's so easily online makes things a little more transparent. As I said, without TSB's I wouldn't have had my cold weather power loss issue addressed.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:44 AM

When I feel there is something wrong with any vehicle that I drive/operate, like a cold weather power loss, I take it to the dealer or my preferred qualified technician and get it addressed.
I don't need to read a TSB to inform me there may be an issue with my vehicle.
Most of us have never had the access to read them for most of our vehicle owning years.
But that's how my thought process works based on my experiences.
Obviously yours operates differently.

Last edited by Lobstah; 12-17-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:00 AM

An earlier posting of mine worth repeating!
Originally Posted by Callisto
Trust me I get at least a customer every other week that brings me a copy of a TSB and tells me how to fix his vehicle. I point to an empty service bay and tell them with a release of liability insurance document you can use the bay and the tools to fix your own car because you seem to think you know what's wrong with it and how to fix it!!! LOL

ASE

Old 12-19-2022, 03:50 PM

Well I have a Canadian 21 CX5 GT turbo and its been burning oil for a while now, noticed it the first time about at the start of the year as I like to check the oil before we go on any big road trips and it was odd to see it down to the low mark on the dip stick. Did some research on possible causes and found this forum and a bunch of other places talking about the TSB. I followed up with the dealership in the summer time and they at that time said to just keep an eye on it.

Today checked the oil level again and it was down to the low mark about 1.5k km from my next oil chance. Brought it in again today for them to keep track of the issue and actually talked with the service manager, he was pretty good and is ordering the parts to fix it up. Car just crossed 29k km today while driving around in the stupid -30c weather. Glad they are fixing it without me having to fight for it or to bitch at them.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigdl
Well I have a Canadian 21 CX5 GT turbo and its been burning oil for a while now, noticed it the first time about at the start of the year as I like to check the oil before we go on any big road trips and it was odd to see it down to the low mark on the dip stick. Did some research on possible causes and found this forum and a bunch of other places talking about the TSB. I followed up with the dealership in the summer time and they at that time said to just keep an eye on it.

Today checked the oil level again and it was down to the low mark about 1.5k km from my next oil chance. Brought it in again today for them to keep track of the issue and actually talked with the service manager, he was pretty good and is ordering the parts to fix it up. Car just crossed 29k km today while driving around in the stupid -30c weather. Glad they are fixing it without me having to fight for it or to bitch at them.

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you are on top of it and a GREAT Dealership that values you as a customer helping you out! Please keep up on your progress.

As for many other forums unfortunately, I know and belong to most all of them and often see the same people joining and posting the same information about various subject material. That really makes for any real numbers of any one issue a collective reliable source.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:00 AM
Default Hi bigdl oil consumption

Originally Posted by bigdl

Hi bigdl, please can you tell us which town and Mazda dealership you used for this fix for oil consumption in Canada?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus
Hi bigdl, please can you tell us which town and Mazda dealership you used for this fix for oil consumption in Canada?

Thanks
Just remember a couple things, re-read the process bigdl went to getting to the point of that dealership to address his specific concern and that you may not get the same results? A Dealership is not obliged or obligated to do service of any kind of service with the exception of a SAFETY RECALL. As I point out regularly most all new vehicle Dealership are still an independently owned business.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-20-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus

Thanks
North HIll Mazda in Calgary, I believe I will be the second car to have the work done. The first one is being taken care of in January

Old 01-06-2023, 03:26 PM

According to a Mazda shop foreman we may have the DIESEL valve seals in the '21 turbos.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by twice007
According to a Mazda shop foreman we may have the DIESEL valve seals in the '21 turbos.
This has been posited before. I am wondering if there was a mix of the incorrect and correct seals. This could explain why some have oil consumption from the start while I have had none at over 13k miles(my CX5 is in the VIN range of the TSB).

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption