Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 08:56 PM

Interesting how different dealers are. Someone just posted they went in with the oil light for the first time and they did the TSB right away.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Interesting how different dealers are. Someone just posted they went in with the oil light for the first time and they did the TSB right away.
What someone says and what actually happened ... on a forum.. ??? People can say anything about when ,what and where happened with their visit to a dealership. Now you are spreading what I would call unproven rumor on forums now! .

I did not say it didn't happened but come on you know better then how dealerships operate! Nothing is lets roll it is and service major repair today!!!! LOL.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:08 AM

Oil temp is the issue, in the conditions you describe your oil temp was probably over 230, At 220 oil starts breaking down and thins out, this is why the turbo uses 5w-30 and the na uses 0w-20, You can get an ob2 bluetooth reader and torquline app with an android to monitor the oil temp.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by lewbraz1
Oil temp is the issue, in the conditions you describe your oil temp was probably over 230, At 220 oil starts breaking down and thins out, this is why the turbo uses 5w-30 and the na uses 0w-20, You can get an ob2 bluetooth reader and torquline app with an android to monitor the oil temp.
Not exactly accurate!

I would suggest before you assume what the MAZDA oil operating temperatures are even in a N/A is to do some research on where the sensors are located and what is there main purpoe in reporting to the ECU. They generally are right in line with the coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature's (Automatic). During summer months they can be normal using AC at 210-212F and be just fine. Naturally in a Turbocharged engine if you boost in the plus 10psi you will raise all operating temperature's but most do not boost in the upper level for more than a short distance and the temperature recover quickly.
As for anything to read if the ECU does not have a communication sensor you can not read any PID in the ECU. Also these sensors are placed in area's for generally over all fuel, timing etc. adjustment and not always the best area to read the highest value before they are cooled. If you are truly concerned about temperature values anywhere you should be getting a specific gauge and install a separate sensor.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:46 AM
Default The cause of oil usage in Mazda's imho

The reason why the 2.5 na or turbo is directly related to oil temp. I had 2014 cx-5, drove for 160000 miles, The local shop informed me that my oil was black and down almost 2 qts on an extended oil change (last fall). I ran additive and would change at 7500 to 8500. I did oil samples and had plenty of data to run out this far. I ended up using a blue tooth ob2 reader to Torqueline app to read the oil temp. What I found was at 80mph with a head/cross wind in 65 degree temps the oil when to 215. I ran cx-5 for 6 hours in this condition with oil temp near 215. Before I left oil was at full and clear. After used about 1/4 qt and started to turn darker. Winter hit and I never got to monitor in 90 degree with a head wind, I would guess the temp would be near 230 or higher if running for extended periods (3 hours) at 80 degrees. At 220 oil starts to break down and gets thinner. I believe this is where you are losing oil. With a NA 2.5 you go up to 5w-20 which will help, or slow down when in 90 and above temperatures. I have since up graded to a cx-50 turbo and I noticed that comes with 5w-30 because turbo brings much more heat into the engine. After I figured out why I was using oil and monitoring the oil temp I have not used a qt since, I just traded last week. Carry on,

Old 04-17-2023, 09:54 AM

Maybe so, first hand experience at 215 oil temp with a pid reader for sustained period of time with a 2.5 na did use oil, When at oil temps read with same system are at maximum of 205 for 8000 miles no oil usage, The ecu is grabbing the same info, I am pretty sure if you let the oil get low enough and the oil temps rise enough the ecu is going to let the driver know the oil is too hot or will post a check engine light.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:55 AM

Sorry but you are missing vital operation information and some of your information is just flawed.

some is so bad I wouldn't even know how to respond without being insulting!

LOL carry on..............................

Old 04-17-2023, 10:53 AM

Independant lab testing "generally" shows motor oils do not start to break down until sump temps are 275 degrees and for most synthetics 300 degrees with some even higher.
Without a "specific oil temp gauge installed" you can never tell what temp your or any engine is at any given interval.
Plus, weather conditions, road conditions (inclines, speed how far above sea level etc.), towing and driving habits all play a part.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:10 PM

Let's also remember that the Turbo engines have an oil cooler, plus the 5W-30 oil.
While oil does 'thin out' at high temperatures, it's not enough to affect oil use on its own.
IIRC, most of the complaints about oil consumption are from those with turbos.

My 2¢

Old 04-17-2023, 12:31 PM

Dennis dennis, dennis, you really need to get a better Hobby. MHO posting anything technical on a forum is not your best suit! While your information is internet found not based on experience by any means it is far from complete or accurate when it come to daily drivers. And I would guess the subject of Turbochargers in general is not accurate with most people on internet. There seems to be this DIY armchair thoughts about how they operate. So don't take it to personal I under stand the mystique regarding Turbochargers. LOL

A Turbocharger itself on any engine does not create increases of oil consumption.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-17-2023 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption