Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 01:16 PM

Maybe my post went over your head. I was commenting on OIL.
Only reference to the turbo engines is those SEEM to be the majority of complaints
in regard to oil consumption.

My 2¢

Old 04-17-2023, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Maybe my post went over your head. I was commenting on OIL.
Only reference to the turbo engines is those SEEM to be the majority of complaints
in regard to oil consumption.

My 2¢
Ops you had better start re-reading your response before responding in the future hahahahahaha
I know and you blew ir again LOL Not sure where you learned about motor oils? OH and you responses DID mention and start with Turbochargers, LOL
And I didnt want to get into the last part of your response... I just thought .... Its Dennis again...

Let's also remember that the Turbo engines have an oil cooler, plus the 5W-30 oil.
While oil does 'thin out' at high temperatures, it's not enough to affect oil use on its own.
IIRC, most of the complaints about oil consumption are from those with turbos.

My 2¢
​​​​​​​

Old 04-17-2023, 01:58 PM

Yup, right over your head.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:07 PM

Let's also remember that the Turbo engines have an oil cooler, plus the 5W-30 oil.
While oil does 'thin out' at high temperatures, it's not enough to affect oil use on its own.
IIRC, most of the complaints about oil consumption are from those with turbos.

My 2¢
Are you sure it has an Oil cooler? I have not seen information stating that, I have a cx-50 turbo with same engine, on a short 10 mile run into a 20mph head wind in 85 temp delta between coolant and oil temp went to 12 degrees difference, if it has an oil cooler its not working to well, In that short of distance should be 1 or 2 degrees, I am going to say there is no oil cooler, I guess the way this board is I should shame you so you do not post again because you offered incorrect information. But I am a real person who does not get bent out of shape on what people post.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:08 PM

Yup, right over your head.
Dennis I did not want to waste my time to try to "teach" you why the comment about what represents high oil temperature break downs. Also what does the viscosity actually mean in the real world between the recommend viscosity between the N/A and Turbo gas engine. Not much but it makes Turbocharged owners feel better that it is a higher viscosity number. Gives them the security in mind that they are getting better protection? auh... ok!!! LOL
Here's the other funny thing with part of your response and even many other get all fr*ked up talking about oil thinning out with heat, the viscosity does not change. LOL

OH and as for oil usage between Turbo gas engines and N/A not sure where you got the true stats I hope not from this forum participation or for that matter any Mazda forum they are not an accurate way to judge oil consumption complaint number and concerns from Mazda owners with either platform engine!

Last edited by Callisto; 04-17-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by lewbraz1
Are you sure it has an Oil cooler? I have not seen information stating that, I have a cx-50 turbo with same engine, on a short 10 mile run into a 20mph head wind in 85 temp delta between coolant and oil temp went to 12 degrees difference, if it has an oil cooler its not working to well, In that short of distance should be 1 or 2 degrees, I am going to say there is no oil cooler, I guess the way this board is I should shame you so you do not post again because you offered incorrect information. But I am a real person who does not get bent out of shape on what people post.
The coolers on most "GAS" engines from about 2000 and newer N/A, Turbocharged or Supercharged engines are more for maintaining constant operating temperatures and not so much to reduce temperatures in the event of high ambient temperature engine operation or use of AC , towing or high altitudes! They become less efficient exponentially as the temperatures climb above about 200F. The main reason for the factory coolers Its that emission thing again.....
I am not talking about towing packages which is totally different.

The addition of any aftermarket "COOLER" wither it be for engine ,coolant or transmission fluid can effectively lower the fluid temperature unlike the OEM "coolers". ivily

Last edited by Callisto; 04-17-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:18 PM

lewbraz1 asks about oil cooler on his new Mazda.
It's at the very bottom of the radiator area. Below the chrome strip.

My 2¢

Old 04-17-2023, 10:14 PM

Ay caramba...

Old 04-18-2023, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Ay caramba...
I feel the same way. Dennis is on a crusade (nothing better to do with his retirement life) to try to catch me in a mistake. So he tends to narrow his attack strategize is on semantics and obvious thinking he "GOOTCHA" when in reality many of my responses are generalities of overall examples.
He is also easy to fuel to continue on a thread that has IMHO well passed the actual owned of MAZDA that have a concern for the topic. LOL

I love the phrase you used I have remember that from being a very young kid! Great stuff thanks for the memory cell firing this morning !

Old 04-18-2023, 10:27 AM

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption