Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 04:02 PM

Oh great and now the paranoid starts.....

To be clear Mazda has a TSB... if your Mazda fits the information in the TSB Mazda will correct it as per the TSB..
The wording settlement is misleading in that posted informational.......
Good going to those members that should go to school and take a basic Law Class.

But I guess that is where we are at these days that anything on the internet must be fact, must be true....

What's that song phrase...
The Assembly - Paranoia Will Destroy Ya
here ya go one.. two ...three... dada dada da....

Old 05-22-2024, 04:11 PM

As for the oil fill question... the proper way is to fill between to the lower mark and upper mark. The term used top mark is oil filled is not accurate. The top mark is the most oil that should be in the engine after the engine has reached operating temperatures. This does not mean top mark is FULL. Nor does the lower mark mean that you are low on oil and add. These are both not accurate with many platforms for a few decades anymore.

It has also shown that engine damage cannot really happen if you are even 2 quarts low.(below the lower line on the dipstick) However I don't want to get into this subject because raise your hands how many of you have dropped the oil pan in a Skyactiv engine and can post with some degree of experience about what they observed!!!!!!
ASE &
Experienced owner and builder of an engine performance machine shop.

CAUTION: regarding any member that wants to debate my response be prepared for some technical questions I will pose to see your level of experience directly relating to this subject specifically oil in the sump of a Skyactiv gasoline engine.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by OLZOOMR
I’ve owned 7 Mazdas in my life
Somewhere on this forum I showed the correct way to check the fluid in a Mazda Skyactiv gasoline engine. You would have to look using the search feature. to find it (them) .
I will say I am not sure why they charge for 6 quarts and if that is the quantity they put into your engine? . Maybe contact them for details? If they are suggesting to fill it to that level have them show you the technical documentation directly from Mazda USA/Corpo. advising of that.
I just looked on AllData for any new TSB and updates pertain to that and there is none , at least currently available on AllData.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:54 PM

HA, Callisto! I'm far from paranoia, but I'm aged (81), and I don't much look forward to car troubles when I'm traveling - that's why I buy Mazdas. Yes, I'm aware of Mazda's pledge to fix the faulty seals and their extended drivetrain warranty, but my confidence sinks a little when I hear of problems like this with a reputed manufacturer. Doesn't appear likely to result in being disabled roadside, but there's no Mazda dealer where I'm headed soon. - - - Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by OLZOOMR
HA, Callisto! I'm far from paranoia, but I'm aged (81), and I don't much look forward to car troubles when I'm traveling - that's why I buy Mazdas. Yes, I'm aware of Mazda's pledge to fix the faulty seals and their extended drivetrain warranty, but my confidence sinks a little when I hear of problems like this with a reputed manufacturer. Doesn't appear likely to result in being disabled roadside, but there's no Mazda dealer where I'm headed soon. - - - Keeping my fingers crossed.
I didn't directly say any one member was paranoid.

It not a pledge either, it falls under the Warranty.

I might also suggest that you try to find actaul numbers (good luck) and not simply repeated information from various source that skew the actual number of Mazda that have and had the issues and resolved by Madza. Mazda do not provide those numbers. for the public But on the internet you would think it was in the hundreds?
I already caught a tall tail from one member claiming his dealership handled at least a dozen. It was ... one!
I have 3 Mazda dealership in a 50 mile radius (Northern CA) and I have accounts with all of them. Combined three and one is one of the larger Mazda dealerships in the US they had 2 this year. One was unresovled issue directly regarding the TSB and was still done as a customer courtesy
As for extended Warranty that is also normal regarding engine and transmission major service under the basic warranty provisions.

As for the thought you have about Mazda it is also far from accurate... if, IF you actually started from A and went to Z and looked at all the production recalls , TSB, and other production issues form almost every auto manufacture then Mazda is by far even in the top 5. You only see Mazda because you own one. I see them all and get bombarded weekly with PM's, actual customers and various non Mazda forum with the same response as you just made just remove Mazda and place brand X in its place.
Why not hop over to Telsa forum and see what they are getting pre worried (paranoid) about, or how about a Ford forum? You can have your pick they all have issues.
BTW unless we ever get a company that test a vehicle for reliability and performance after 50k miles with around town in the city and all combined with highway miles NONE of those reports are really worth anything except catching the numbers supporting them by reading them!

At your age I truly believe you know exactly what I am talking about. The Pinto got good reviews from Car and driver and road and track until ... look what happened LOL

If you look I also completely examined these new valve stem seals vs the originals.... Lets just say I was surprised what I found? It was difficult getting a set because Mazda wanted the ones being replaced accounted for and either returned or destroyed.

While I do not use a crystal ball *(I do have and could ask my 8 ball)reading how you take care of your Mazda and the current state and miles it is in I would be very surprised if you have an issue.