Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 03:40 PM

OK. Folks. There are TWO Callisto's. One is from 'Toy Story' (or something like that), and that is our one and only Callisto,

There is another avatar still available, Callisto -2, the Wood Nymph, Beautiful Harlot and Lover of Zeus.

If you want that avatar, please make sure you take it as Callisto -2, or Callisto- WN (Wood Nymph) so as

not to cause confusion with our very own Callisto. Discussion may proceed. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:04 PM

+ + + =

Old 02-02-2022, 06:35 AM
Default Oil consumption every 4000 miles

Originally Posted by LM123xyz
Have 2021 Touring CX5.
Have the same problem with oil level going low after 3000 miles.
Never had this problem in my ever 70 years of buying cars.
Brand new car.
Don't they check out their cars before selling or putting out for sale.
A shame on Mazda big time.
My 2019 CX5 non turbo consumes a quart of Oil every 4000 miles. The first time it happened at 20k I got a low oil warning light. Since then I check my oil level every 2 weeks. I had a 1997 accord I drove to 230k miles and a 2002 camry I drove upto 2018 with 202k miles besides chevvys & Ford's. In my experience this car is the first to consume oil at 20000 miles. I drive 80 to 100 miles a day and I am a aggressive driver. I now started using 5W- 20 Oil.
My wife drives a 2018 Camry and the oil specs is 0W- 16 . In my opinion the oil specs are too low with the engine and ambient temp in Florida . I guess the manufacturer decreased the clearance between bearings, bushings, piston & rings then lowered weight of lube oil.
It seems like luxury comes at a cost. Don't get me wrong this is the first SUV I own and enjoy the ride.
I am 68 and getting in and out of cars is hard on my knees.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:07 AM

Toyota considers a quart of oil per 1000 miles normal consumption. I own three Hondas that all burn one quart or a bit more between oil changes. I change my own oil and measure every time. Now my F-150, 5.0 burns a quart every 2000 miles. All newer models burn oil because of the EPA standards they are fighting. The oil rings are not pushing against the cylinders as hard and thinner oil. Check your oil when you gas your car and you will be fine.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:08 AM

Ok so in The USA there are strict emission requirements placed on the auto manufacture. So nuff said you all can look up that info...
Next...the claims of some of the oil burning and the auto mantufature suggestion its of or normal.... not true! See the first line in my response.

If some of the claims of "BURMING or using" by definition going through the engine and not leaking you would have one or more or even all the following conditions, extremely low MPG, reduced engine power, carbon and oil fouled spark plugs, carbon build up in the combustion chambers extending into the exhaust system, the engine would smoke, and you would be slowly destroying your Catalytic converter.
Let's try to keep it "REAL" and not the exaggerated claims of oil consumption on low (less then 80,000miles). If some of you said using oil(burning) at a rate of 1/2 quart every 5k miles I would be very concerned. But reading 1quart every 1000-5000 miles.... your engine has serious problems and would be as they say in Waterworld... "A SMOKER".

Old 02-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Default Oil consumption

Originally Posted by Skisurf1
Toyota considers a quart of oil per 1000 miles normal consumption. I own three Hondas that all burn one quart or a bit more between oil changes. I change my own oil and measure every time. Now my F-150, 5.0 burns a quart every 2000 miles. All newer models burn oil because of the EPA standards they are fighting. The oil rings are not pushing against the cylinders as hard and thinner oil. Check your oil when you gas your car and you will be fine.
Gone are the days of simple living , people got spoilt with luxuries. Luxuries and amenities come with a price. We the baby boomers were happy with our simple lives. At 68 I weigh 137 lbs 5' 9" tall still working besides hobbies such as carpentry. I feel bad for my grand kids. God bless have a wonderful day.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Anjan
Gone are the days of simple living , people got spoilt with luxuries. Luxuries and amenities come with a price. We the baby boomers were happy with our simple lives. At 68 I weigh 137 lbs 5' 9" tall still working besides hobbies such as carpentry. I feel bad for my grand kids. God bless have a wonderful day.
LOL you talk like a old person...yet you are not really old at all sir!!! Its funny I bet your parents use to say the same thing when they were at your age now?

My dad (retired USAF Pilot, call sign Pregnant Needle) just turned 90 years old last week, still driving and does the gardening for my house! So your basic human specification you seem in good health and have a long life yet to live!

Old 02-02-2022, 11:47 AM
Default Oil consumption with no smoke at idle stationery.

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ok so in The USA there are strict emission requirements placed on the auto manufacture. So nuff said you all can look up that info...
Next...the claims of some of the oil burning and the auto mantufature suggestion its of or normal.... not true! See the first line in my response.

If some of the claims of "BURMING or using" by definition going through the engine and not leaking you would have one or more or even all the following conditions, extremely low MPG, reduced engine power, carbon and oil fouled spark plugs, carbon build up in the combustion chambers extending into the exhaust system, the engine would smoke, and you would be slowly destroying your Catalytic converter.
Let's try to keep it "REAL" and not the exaggerated claims of oil consumption on low (less then 80,000miles). If some of you said using oil(burning) at a rate of 1/2 quart every 5k miles I would be very concerned. But reading 1quart every 1000-5000 miles.... your engine has serious problems and would be as they say in Waterworld... "A SMOKER".
I agree with everything you say. My vehicle does not show visible smoke or smell at idle while parked. I am an aggressive driver so it could be emitting light smoke without showing visible signs. If it blows plumes of smoke highly visible then it's time for major repair. I was trained at Cummins in plant for six months. I had to tear apart engines for the first month. Then each month rebuilding components beside theory classes in the morning. I am just expressing my thoughts and comparing to older engines. I understand it is what it is. I appreciate your time and input.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Anjan
I agree with everything you say. My vehicle does not show visible smoke or smell at idle while parked. I am an aggressive driver so it could be emitting light smoke without showing visible signs. If it blows plumes of smoke highly visible then it's time for major repair. I was trained at Cummins in plant for six months. I had to tear apart engines for the first month. Then each month rebuilding components beside theory classes in the morning. I am just expressing my thoughts and comparing to older engines. I understand it is what it is. I appreciate your time and input.
Then you should also agree that any of the so-called burning oil claims in the amount stated that simply taking a clean WHITE" rag and wiping the inside of the tail pipe would show wet oil. Not the somewhat black semi dry residue but actual wet unburned oil.
Anjan you have good practical and trained experience for sure. I owned and operated a Performance Engine Machine shop among many other automotive related businesses over the decades.... (cant really say years anymore lol)
I hate everything about diesel engines. But I do hold and current L2 certification.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:10 AM
Default Oil consumption - CX-5

This is very informative, but was it sent to Mazda owners, since I don't call receiving anything.
In any event, our Turbo CX-5 oil light went on after about 3.5K miles in Mid-Feb of this year. When we went back to the dealer, Service stated that the car was not pre-checked sufficiently and probably did not have enough oil to begin with. That said, it happened again yesterday, an now we have 4.5K miles. No leakage anywhere, but Service suggested we carry a can of oil with us and check periodically. Can this possibly be necessary, as an ongoing proposition? Is the above post to lead us to believe that a fix is in the works? We are previous RAV4 owners and NEVER had to change oil except when prescribed at 10K intervals.

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption