Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 11:35 AM

Personally, I had a '19 2.5 NA for 20k miles and didn't burn a drop of oil between changes. The '21 2.5T I have now has been fine as well (with only one oil change in my 7500 miles) but I check the oil level regularly to make sure something doesn't pop up. The post above proves Mazda agrees there is an issue as they certainly wouldn't be saying anything if they hadn't seen examples. The question is - when will they solve the problem? It is strange to me there is such variation (it doesn't seem as if it is just a small batch of engines which have the issue as in the case of the head issue on the NA motor). The CX-9 has more examples since the 2.5T has been in use a lot longer in that line. I hope my car ends up being one who doesn't suffer the issue over time, but who knows. All we can do is monitor it for now until Mazda comes up with a solution.

Last edited by chickdr19; 09-15-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by iluvhughcx-5
This is very informative, but was it sent to Mazda owners, since I don't call receiving anything.
In any event, our Turbo CX-5 oil light went on after about 3.5K miles in Mid-Feb of this year. When we went back to the dealer, Service stated that the car was not pre-checked sufficiently and probably did not have enough oil to begin with. That said, it happened again yesterday, an now we have 4.5K miles. No leakage anywhere, but Service suggested we carry a can of oil with us and check periodically. Can this possibly be necessary, as an ongoing proposition? Is the above post to lead us to believe that a fix is in the works? We are previous RAV4 owners and NEVER had to change oil except when prescribed at 10K intervals.
It is a good idea to check the oil periodically and carry a quart with you regardless of what car you drive or what the dealer says. This is an easy protocol to prevent serious engine damage from many things that may result in unexpected oil depletion which can happen at any time on any vehicle.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
That makes you what about 85-90 years old...
WT(Frick) really. So in the perfect world every vehicle ever manufactured never had production problems? Not one vehicle manufactures engine ever had head casting issue EVER in 70 years.
ROLMAO. What world do you live in cuzzz it ain't most of ours!

I can name one engine off the top of my "head" (get it head LOL ) .... Chrysler early head casting 2.4 around 1999 early 2002 oil control issues.
Also Chevy Vega but I don't remember the years.

I would normally welcome new members but NOT one that joins and started negative response on their # 1 post on this forum about the vehicles we own and love MAZDA!
Seems like Callisto is paid by Mazda or is a Mazda fanatic zombie that does not accept any other opinions, even if they are true.
Forums are for open communication, and let us be aware of any issues.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:50 PM
Default 2021 CX-5 Turbo - Oil Light issues

Originally Posted by taran1900
I've had two turbo Mazda's. A 2019 6 Signature which never burned a drop in 18k miles and our 2021 CX-5 Signature. We only have 3800 miles on it and have not observed any oil consumption. I had the oil changed on the 6 religiously every 5k miles. It was a lease so I stuck with the Mazda branded synthetic. We own our CX-5 and I am switching to Amsoil (same spec specified by Mazda) at the 5k oil and filter change. I will definitely keep an eye it having seen this post.
I just started noticing the oil light coming on prior to my second service(scheduled at 10K). Probably at around 8500 I noticed the light intermittently coming on. I reached out to Mazda and they said I should bring it in now even though I was still short of my next service by about 800 miles(I thought this was weird and figured maybe they didn't put enough oil during the last service). Keep in mind, I barely drive my CX-5. I did get the valve stem recall taken care of at the first service(5K). I'm wondering if the recall has created even more problems than it fixed. I will be checking oil levels and documenting any oil light activity moving forward. Really bummed that after having this car for barely 10K that we're having to deal with this. Makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Tesla after all....

Old 04-22-2022, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by gsdubs
.... I did get the valve stem recall taken care of at the first service(5K)....
I'm not aware of any action being taken so far by Mazda for this specific problem, other than oil consumption testing. Can you post the paperwork they gave you for whatever they did or, if your post count is not high enough to do that, just post a summary of the work description.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:22 AM

I checked my oil again yesterday, I'm at 9,300 miles and had the oil changed at 5,100 miles. I've not added any the oil, it was an 1/8" below the top mark. It's a 2021 CX-5 Signature.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:20 PM

I checked mine the other day and it's above the top mark. Wondering if Mazda is topping off a bit on the high side so as to minimize the low oil warning coming on?

Old 06-10-2022, 04:58 PM
Default 2021 CX5 Turbo

Greetings we have a 2021 Mazda CX5 turbo with about 13k. My wife was on her way home from Tennessee when the low oil light came on. She stopped at a gas station and let the car sit for about 5 minutes checked the oil and thought it was between the two circles. She bought a quart of oil put 1/2 of it in the engine started the car light went out and she is on her way. I thought the oil level would have to be quite low for the light to come on.
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:03 PM

I would certainly have it checked if the light comes on again. Want to have it documented.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:31 AM

Just a simple question for the forum experts. As I understand it lubrication required between moving metal parts to prevent overheating and attendant wear. How is the interface between the piston compression ring aInd cylinder bore lubricated unless some oil is left in the combustion chamber and burnt?

I would expect the interface between piston compression rings and cylinder bore to be an extreme case where lubrication is required due high temperatures and pressures.

My experience over more than 50 years over car, tractors, etc. is that oil is consumed over a period of time but the loss is disguised by the condensation of cylinder blow by products of combustion in thel relatively cooler crankcase and sump areas when a vehicle is driven regularly over short distance making it appear than no oil being consumed.

If a vehicles used for relatively short drives is then driven a long distance the crankcase and sump temperatures go up vaporising the lighter condensed products of combustion which are then burnt off via the positive crankcase ventilation valve with result there is sudden apparent increase in oil consumption.

I have recently experienced this with my CX 5 turbo when I went on 2600 Km trip and my car had a sudden apparent loss of over 600 millilitres of oil

RalphG

Last edited by RalphG; 07-12-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption