Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 01:06 PM

Agreed.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:03 AM

as though the engine know the difference between dino any synthetic in the same 5w-30. the viscosity is the same...synthetic just last longer...many cars today are delivered with synthetic oil from the factory...no synthetic for a "break in" is a myth left over from the last century...

Old 10-27-2022, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
????????? WTF????

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
I got the first TSB repair for oil consumption at my dealership in Maryland. They replaced valve stem. Looks like eight seals and one head gasket.
if the customers do not complain, and did not open Tsb for the oil consumption, Mazda will not do it. They are only taking care of the customer who complained.
make sure follow up and check your oil level for those who have the oil consumption issue. Mazda has a fix and it’s free under warranty.

Last edited by TaimurTurbo; 10-27-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:39 PM
Default 2021 turbo's oil consumption

Originally Posted by TaimurTurbo
I got the first TSB repair for oil consumption at my dealership in Maryland. They replaced valve stem. Looks like eight seals and one head gasket.
if the customers do not complain, and did not open Tsb for the oil consumption, Mazda will not do it. They are only taking care of the customer who complained.
make sure follow up and check your oil level for those who have the oil consumption issue. Mazda has a fix and it’s free under warranty.

You had the same transmission hard shifting as my 2021 Mazda 6 GTR has. I brought it in at 2500 miles for first oil change and they said transmission was normal. I still think it's rough exactly as you describe yours. So far I have no oil consumption but I suspect most of us will with the turbo. At the second complimentary oil change at 4200 I mentioned the TSB for oil consumption and the shop foreman said he attended a class on the subject. When I asked what they heard he said the factory may have mistakenly installed oil seals for the DIESEL engine in all those 2021 turbos! So they replaced all the exhaust seals? I hope the fix works for you because boy oh boy I hate anybody tearing into an engine that is hardly even broken in yet. (4700 ish miles)

Old 10-27-2022, 11:21 PM

Taimur, what is your mileage when this repair was done?

Old 10-28-2022, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TaimurTurbo
I got the first TSB repair for oil consumption at my dealership in Maryland. They replaced valve stem. Looks like eight seals and one head gasket. ...

No head removal is being done with this procedure. Part # PY8W10235 on your paperwork is a valve cover gasket, not a head gasket. What makes this confusing is the "GASKET,HEA'" part abbreviation that Mazda uses, and that's because they call the cover a "head cover", instead of the much more common "valve cover".

As with any significant engine work, I recommend checking the oil level frequently and monitoring for any external oil leaks, for at least a few months anyway.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:03 PM
Banned

I have done this repair several times on similar engines. Not too bad, but tedious. I was at the mazda dealership today. they are not Happy about the 4.4 hrs mazda pays the dealership because they say its an all day deal. My experience is first time takes forever, and after a few times 4.4 hrs is do-able

Old 10-28-2022, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ctbale
I have done this repair several times on similar engines. Not too bad, but tedious. I was at the mazda dealership today. they are not Happy about the 4.4 hrs mazda pays the dealership because they say its an all day deal. My experience is first time takes forever, and after a few times 4.4 hrs is do-able
My only contact with Mazda is when I buy oil filters from them, and the parts guy I deal with is never willing to share any insider information with a DIYer (at least this one anyway), even though I try to use a casual, friendly approach. And their parts counter is located away from the service area, so I'm also not able to make contact with any techs. But your rapport with them is apparently good enough that they're willing to give you honest replies to your questions. So it will be interesting to find out how much their opinion of the 4.4 hours changes a few months from now, after they've done this job a number of times.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:42 PM

So no head removal? I guess that's a plus and I wonder if they came up with any specialty tools to do the seals with the head in place.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twice007
So no head removal? I guess that's a plus and I wonder if they came up with any specialty tools to do the seals with the head in place.
Valve stem seals can be changed with the head on. Pull the valve cover off, then pull the rockers & springs and they come right off. Close to how you would do it with the head on the bench, BUT the big concern is not allowing the valve to drop in the combustion chamber. Apparently the top of the Piston comes pretty tight up to the face of the valves because the tsb just says bring the Piston to tdc. When I've done this procedure I normally snake in a cord into the combustion chamber and then rotate the engine to get the piston to the top to compress the cord into the valves. Some people use air pressure but that's a little sketchy

Last edited by ctbale; 10-29-2022 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption