Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
View Poll Results: Do you believe in lifetime no maintenance on transmission
No
64.00%
Yes
0%
Maybe
12.00%
Needs periodic maintenance
32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Mazda CX5 transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 07:05 PM
Default Tranny service

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
A visual guide, several actually, are on Youtube.
Here's one.
T fluid can be had at Amazon Special Mazda spec fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBMA...annel=FelixDan

My 2¢
Thanks I was under the impression this vehicle did not have a dip stick or pan with a drain plug. I am very grateful to you for enlightening me. I am 68 years old I have worked on cars trucks since 1972. I am now semi retired .

Old 01-29-2022, 12:01 AM

The transmission fluid and filter I have found really should be serviced at no later than 30k miles. Sooner is actually better. While I have no idea why so many antimanufacturing use the term lifetime and no service required is beyond me??? EVERY automatic transmission has a break in period and during that time some internal moving parts will wear in and shed some metal material. Also, there are numerous installation lubes and additives that are used during the assembly that can promote sludge.

The adapter for a full flush information is covered on this forum

The posted video is not the best and actually has inaccurate information. In general it s ok but really there are better ones.
I might also suggest to be careful about what you buy on amazon for MAZDA automatic transmission. Read exactly what they will cover and you would be better informed to go directly to the distributors website for the correct information. The Skyactiv transmission needs either MAZDA specific for Skyactic engine transmissions or a fluid specifically formulated that encluded you model and year MAZDA .
For my MAZDA Skyactiv transmission I use:
Castrol Transmax Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

I prefer the CASTROL because CASTROL is still traditional RED unlike MAZDA which is a darker color resembling dirty and often times thought to be dirty ATF fluid.

I just happened to have spent the day doing a fluid /filter and transmission pan replacement just today in my garage. This is will be my 4th fluid & filter replacement and I did a very early complete fluid replacement procedure. I have also had the transmission oil analyzed 3 times and according to Black Labs my results are very common for 2017 and newer MAZDA Skyactiv transmissions. This latest oil/filter service of mine is the first time that there was very little normally occurring build up of less then desirable material in the valve body area. So frequent oil serving is on my regular schedule now.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-29-2022 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:15 AM

Did my 2013 CX-5 drain, replace filter and fill back up @ 74k. We bought it with 73k. in 2019.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:56 AM
Default Transmission service

Originally Posted by Callisto
The transmission fluid and filter I have found really should be serviced at no later than 30k miles. Sooner is actually better. While I have no idea why so many antimanufacturing use the term lifetime and no service required is beyond me??? EVERY automatic transmission has a break in period and during that time some internal moving parts will wear in and shed some metal material. Also, there are numerous installation lubes and additives that are used during the assembly that can promote sludge.

The adapter for a full flush information is covered on this forum

The posted video is not the best and actually has inaccurate information. In general it s ok but really there are better ones.
I might also suggest to be careful about what you buy on amazon for MAZDA automatic transmission. Read exactly what they will cover and you would be better informed to go directly to the distributors website for the correct information. The Skyactiv transmission needs either MAZDA specific for Skyactic engine transmissions or a fluid specifically formulated that encluded you model and year MAZDA .
For my MAZDA Skyactiv transmission I use:
Castrol Transmax Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

I prefer the CASTROL because CASTROL is still traditional RED unlike MAZDA which is a darker color resembling dirty and often times thought to be dirty ATF fluid.

I just happened to have spent the day doing a fluid /filter and transmission pan replacement just today in my garage. This is will be my 4th fluid & filter replacement and I did a very early complete fluid replacement procedure. I have also had the transmission oil analyzed 3 times and according to Black Labs my results are very common for 2017 and newer MAZDA Skyactiv transmissions. This latest oil/filter service of mine is the first time that there was very little normally occurring build up of less then desirable material in the valve body area. So frequent oil serving is on my regular schedule now.

Thanks I do not believe in lifetime transmission fluid. How many quarts of fluid did you fill up. I see you have 4 quart bottles. Thanks for sharing pictures and information.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:20 AM
Default Transmission filter

Originally Posted by Anjan
Thanks I do not believe in lifetime transmission fluid. How many quarts of fluid did you fill up. I see you have 4 quart bottles. Thanks for sharing pictures and information.
May I know where you bought the filter and partnumber.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:44 AM
Default Gasket for drain plug

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
A visual guide, several actually, are on Youtube.
Here's one.
T fluid can be had at Amazon Special Mazda spec fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBMA...annel=FelixDan

My 2¢
What size gasket for transmission drain plug. 1/2" 5/8". Thanks.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:46 AM

This is on my personal MAZDA
That was for the picture. What I do is a bit over the top and not many would have the patients. Because there was and has been controversy over what is full and how much fluid is supposed to be in the transmission. First, we need to understand that the marks on the dips stick is measure by temperature. Look at the stick! And most importantly that as long as you are at least above the lower line and not above the upper line that is the design fluid limits you should be at. During my first drain and fill pan filter service my dip stick was slightly below the upper line measured with the transmission temperature of 190F. That mean if there was any fluid expansion it was well shown on the dip stick. I drain the fluid in the pan and fill a laboratory specimen bottle like the one in the picture and measure the fluid removed from the pan at the drain plug. Then carefully removing the pan and pouring the remaining contents in the bottle. After removing the filter and setting up to drain and then letting the transmissi0on drip drain for several hours pouring the contents into the bottle I could measure the exacts amount at each step and also have a being guide as to how much fluid to replace after the filter service was done. Naturally after I drove and rechecked the fluid it was very slightly different from the start but nothing that could be more or less than a couple of once's.
Conclusion is 5 quarts should be on hand when doing a filter fluid pan service and to fill with 4 quarts start the engine and recheck add only enough to slightly go above the dip stick. Then go for a drive 30-45 minutes and recheck the fluid level. I am sure that a few more once's to meet the mid or slightly higher will be needed.
I also carefully measured the MAZDA dip stick in relationship to the transmission core and were sets in the lower part or pan area. Based on my experience with automatic transmission over the year including performance build transmission the dip stick is position high in the transmission core so even if the fluid barely touched the dip stick which is below the lower mark there is still a full pan of fluid and would not be of concern under average driving conditions. But I would not leave it at that level for very long and never for towing or any kind of [performance /spirited driving.

Now on the professional side this is what I and we do in the shop:

After removing any parts to access the transmission pan for service
Drain pan
Remove Pan
Remove filter
Clean Pan and pan magnet (if one is present)
Replace drain plug washer/gasket
Clean pan mounting surfaces
Replace filter
Use new pan gasket or sealer or combination (technicians' discretion)
Torque to factory setting pan bolts
Check for specific fluid requirements
Refill 4-4.5 quarts. (approximate)
Start engine let run for 15-20 minutes
Recheck fluid level
Test drive vehicle
Recheck fluid level and look for any signs of leaks
Call customer to pick up vehicle

ASE

Old 01-29-2022, 10:51 AM

What size gasket for transmission drain plug. 1/2" 5/8". Thanks.
There are actually 2 sizes you need to know. My recommendation and suggestion as a DIY is order one that is applicated specifically for the MAZDA and not by the size.
But what I use the sizes are I.D. 1.50 mm and O.D. 14.00 mm, soft crush washer metal. NOT fiber or another nonmetal washer.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
2019 should have a 8mm allen key drain bung.

Fill point is via the tiny dipstick on the forward facing side of the trans, way down low below the air filter. Held in place by a 10mm head bolt.

Re your screen, it could be something as simple as a CMU software update, or as bad as faulty screen ( replaced a few )
Similar question: 2021 CX-5 Touring. Screen occasionally is blank when I start Car. And will stay blank. If I stop and restart the Car, the screen usually comes on. This is occasional/intermittent. Not all the time. Is this the CMU software you mention? Or likely a bad screen? Or.... what? Appreciate your opinon.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:40 PM

Callisto, Is there a drain plug on the transmission pan or does the pan have to be dropped to change the transmission? Also is the transmission externally accessible?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX5 transmission service