Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mobile Start - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by GAGAN
I purchased CX9-2017 and want to install a traditional key based remote start, first I inquired from the dealership to install it from the dealership. I raised a query to MAZDA regarding any warranty violation if I installed it from a third party and below is the response
"Currently, we provide our Mazda Mobile Start as the sole option for remote access to our vehicles. We do not provide any other option for remote start for any of our vehicles but I will surely provide feedback to our Product Planning team. We do not recommend installing a third party system as it may interfere with normal functionality of your CX-9 and may void any applicable warranties"
I think it is not a fair business practice to force a customer use a certain part that you are not able to manufacture. I am planning to raise a complaint in FTC - Federal Trade Commission. Please advise.
I'm not sure why you think this isn't a a fair business practice; pick an automotive related forum, ANY forum from ANY manufacturer and do a search. Almost guaranteed you'll come up with any number of folks with aftermarket remote start components with very strange problems with their cars. Mazda is well within their right to "not recommend" third party devices.

Should you choose to use an aftermarket device anyway, and an issue pops up, do not expect Mazda to cover the repairs as part of the warranty.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 AM

I agree with Shipo. Every car manufacturer will tell you that any outside company or third party part can void your warranty. Especially with newer cars.
Many companies (third party)will assume the part they have is compatible with your car and sell it to you. Many third party companies won't spend the time and money to develop a part specifically for your make and model until there is a need and it appears it is a popular car. This usually takes a few years as cars get older, people are more willing to add extra stuff.
Personal example; I bought a Curt class 3 hitch from e-trailer along with the wiring harness when I first bought my '16 CX-5 GT. I've bought from them before and they are a well respected company. Well the model specific wiring harness was the same used for models 2013-2015, chassis is the same, wiring is the same, so it makes sense it would work. Problem was, 2016 GT model came with LED tail lights and needed different wiring. Luckily, I was lazy and didn't get around to installing the wiring harness until a few months later and when I went to check the video tutorial on e-trailer I noticed the difference. I read some FAQ's and some one said that they burnt out their tail lights while some others said they could never get the trailer lights to work properly. Mazda was not responsible for people installing after market parts that caused damage to other parts of the vehicle, nor would anyone else be. BTW, e-trailer had put up a notice on the product page for that wiring harness about the importance of knowing which tail lights you have and that there is a difference, of course this was after people had found out the hard way.
You also need to think about the installers, if you bring it to "Joe's Car Stereo and Security Shack" to get your starter installed, are you sure the 18 yr old kid that is used to installing kickers in the back of tuner cars is up to date on all new car schematics. If a DIY mechanic (backyard mechnic) goes in and installs a starter system only to fry his whole electrical system, is Mazda or any car manufacturer going to cover the repairs? I don't think so.