Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Motor Trend CX 5 Signature v.v infinity QX 50

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Default Motor Trend CX 5 Signature v.v infinity QX 50

Motor Trend did an online comparison between our "humble" CX 5 Signature and the pricier Infinity QX 50. AND MAZDA WON!
Only in interior space did the QX 50 have a definite advantage.

Motor Trend said the EVEN FOR THE QX 50 PRiCE they would choose the CX 5 Signature. The Signature's sound system was particularly praised as was, naturally, MAZDA's superior handling and steering feel. And the CX 5 Signature interior was given the best ratings as well. My 2019 GT Reserve has that same BOSE sound system and it is a great sound.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:44 PM

Most reviews agree the CX-5 is an incredible vehicle.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM

Imagine the lighter CX 30 with a 2.5 L. turbo! Ooo, Ooo!

Old 07-06-2020, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
Imagine the lighter CX 30 with a 2.5 L. turbo! Ooo, Ooo!
Considering it was just announced in the Mazda 3, it may be coming to the CX30 soon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/06/...epower-torque/

Old 07-06-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Considering it was just announced in the Mazda 3, it may be coming to the CX30 soon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/06/...epower-torque/
When I bought my 2019 Mazda3, I didn't seriously look at any alternatives. The combination of AWD, the size of the 3 and driving dynamics made it the only option to consider. The 2.5 turbo would have further sealed the deal.

The CX-30 with the 2.5 turbo could make it similarly the only option for many. A small SUV with Mazda driving dynamics and twice the power of anything costing less than twice the price could make it the only alternative for many potential customers.

My question is: Why is that so many people don't even consider Mazda? Every model (in my opinion) is better than the Toyota/Honda alternatives yet sell at a fraction of the volume.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
My question is: Why is that so many people don't even consider Mazda? Every model (in my opinion) is better than the Toyota/Honda alternatives yet sell at a fraction of the volume.
Herd mentality: "Toyota and Honda sell the most cars, so they must be the best."

Old 07-06-2020, 02:20 PM

chickdr19,
I didn't know MAZDA had put a turbo in the MAZDA 3. WOW! That should be a little sleeper rocket.
Imagine getting your Audi A3 getting blown away by a MAZDA 3!
Oooo, that's a spanking the Audi owner won't forget.

mazdaCPA,
Yeah, MAZDA has made some remarkable vehicles like the 3 models of RX-7, (I had an FD RX-7), the RX-8,, a Le Mans LMP winning car, the fabled Miata. MAZDA needs AN ADVERTIZING INCREASE to let the US market now of its great lineup.
AND it needs to badge its vehicles better. I had to go aftermarket and buy a "2.5T" badge to stick on my right rear tailgate. C'mon, I paid a premium for my CX 5 GT Reserve turbo and I want it known that's what's under my hood, just like other marques do. And also remove the "SKYACTIVE label. it may be a translation from Japanese but it's "lostintranslation". Even salesmen can't tell me what means.

FINAL NOTE: MAZDA, partnering with Toyota for the tech, is introducing the CX 30 sized MX 30 PLUG-IN all EV "in the UK in early 2021" according to CAR magazine. Why not here in the US too?

Eric B.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:28 PM

The MX-30 won’t work in the US until they can get more range out of it. I think they said it would have around 120 mile range. One unplanned stop on the way home from work and I would be stuck on the side of the road.

I agree with the badge idea. My second Mazda was a V6 Mazda6 in 2004. Mine had no V6 badge while others did. Other then the size of the wheels it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a Sport and a Signature.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:39 PM

CPA, yep, you are right about that lack of range for the MX 30. Even doubling the range of an MX 30 is not enough. 300 miles is now a new standard for EV range. Hopefully ew will see new batteries that are even lighter than Li-ion and with a greater charge capacity. I think Li-carbon may be a next gen. EV battery.

Eric B.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bird-Dog
Herd mentality: "Toyota and Honda sell the most cars, so they must be the best."
Exactly. I have a close friend who doesn't know anything about cars and wanted my advice about buying a CUV a couple of years ago. He was looking at the CR-V and Forester. I recommended he add the CX-5 to the list. He didn't and ended up with the CR-V (I warned him about the oil dilution issue and recommended he get the 2.4 motor instead of the turbo - which he didn't). Fast forward to last weekend when they visited us and rode in our year old CX-5. He said "wow this is really nice". I was thinking, yep, you could be driving one too if you had at least taken a look at it. I think most people just look at the best selling cars and think "they must be the best".

Quick Reply: Motor Trend CX 5 Signature v.v infinity QX 50