Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

My cx-5 rips on 4~5 gallons e85 mixed with 91 octane gas - callisto can you weigh in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 04:19 PM

Callisto,
I have the lower end CX-5, and I do not have a sport mode button. Do you know if the wiring and computer support sport mode, and I just need to put a switch in to get sport mode?

is sport mode controlled by the engine computer, or is there a separate computer for the transmission?

Are you able to turn on and off sport mode with versatuner?

Old 03-19-2023, 04:26 PM

Callisto,
I have also seen in other post that you have taken your intake manifold off, and you have worked on some kind of bubbler for injecting cleaner into the intake.

How often do you need to take off the intake manifold and clean the intake valves? Or does the skyactiv engine not really have a problem with buildup on the back sides of the intake valves?

it looks like Mazda made some kind of factory catch can that is under the intake manifold to pull oil Mist out of the PCV gases. I am not sure how effective this thing is though.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:56 AM

I rarely use sport mode and I have not seen a PID that changes its operating perimeters. I think it is a global automatic adjustment... IDK. As I said I rarely use it. I never liked how it hangs around in some gears to long when up in the twisties tends to slow y down when I want to accelerate briskly out of a turn.

The Skyactiv engine is still a DI engine and as such there will be carbon collecting on the intake valve. When I removed my intake, I was surprised to see some forming. Water injection tends to readily this forming and also reducing any other carbon in the combustion chambers and valves. Scoping my engine shows me that it works for me. Removing your Throttle body (very easy to do) and take a flash light look inside you intake manifold.

The problem with introducing any fluids that are not measured for the loss of air volume into the intake charge that unless the ECU compensates for a reduction in volume you could lean the AFRs.This generally raises the EGT's that effect other engine operations and the ECU starts trying to correct all the issues. ....."BING" a Check engine light. LOL So it requires Data logging to see where you can make some small adjustments to compensate.
I would say that I like the idea of water be used during highway speeds between 55-70 mph and at a steady pace. This makes it a bit easier to simply adjust a few ECU operations and have some good results of the water vapor being introduced with the normal intake air and fuel charge as a cleaning effect.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:32 PM

25k miles later, still running 3 to 4 gallons of E85. The difference between 87 octane and running 91 octane with E85 mixed in still amazes me.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:51 PM
Default Callisto

Come on Callisto, you can't just let this post go by. I know you got some comments just burning a hole in your pocket.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:04 PM

LOL...
when you get anyou tube log in\
ECU calibration program and can run a data log and post the information concerning your use of E85 then we will have something to talk about other than a comment that really is less then I expect from your experience level as more or less what a DIY would post.

Comon dude "sho me Da' log" hahahaha

Last edited by Callisto; 03-27-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:11 PM

So I am worried about my high pressure fuel pump. What should my values be? I am scared E85 will wear the HPFP prematurely?

Old 03-28-2024, 10:06 AM

Yes.. E85 can and often does (generally unreported on most usual forums and platform specific forums) cause premature failure of the fueling system components.

In my group on another forum (private) some members that use E85 will under advise service the fueling system every 5-10 miles with normal gasoline and fuel additives. These members also have ECU Calibration access to OBDII to upload specific files for fuel use. So it is easy to service an E85 run engine.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Yes.. E85 can and often does (generally unreported on most usual forums and platform specific forums) cause premature failure of the fueling system components.
That's usually the general consensus. Unless it's a flex fuel car, I'd never put E85 in any of my vehicles. Besides it runs out faster than 87+ octane.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
That's usually the general consensus. Unless it's a flex fuel car, I'd never put E85 in any of my vehicles. Besides it runs out faster than 87+ octane.
There has not yet been any long term study as to the effect of using E85. And those vehicle's so called that can use it are still using standard composition hoses and plastic in the fuel system with not mention of longevity. Oh but I am sure they get the standard warranty from the auto manufacture and then "Kaput". LOL

BTW on a performance note having been to countless 1/4 events street cars using E85 can pull off the line a gasoline car but by 1/8 mile the gas engine is catching up and in any cases at the end of the 1320 they are either very close or E85 comes in second. Maybe driver errors ? LOL

From German kaputt (“broken, out of order”)

Quick Reply: My cx-5 rips on 4~5 gallons e85 mixed with 91 octane gas - callisto can you weigh in?