Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

My cx-5 rips on 4~5 gallons e85 mixed with 91 octane gas - callisto can you weigh in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by HighCompression
Since it is only cylinder 2 have I narrowed it down..........................................
Dirty Injector
Failing injector
spark plug damage or age
oil in combustion chamber
compression
coil
coil boot
coil connector
coil connector wiring.

If you check you I/M you will see that you are not emission ready.

Old 06-05-2024, 09:41 PM

What is the best place to get new injectors? And what brand?

Rockauto has Standard Motor Products FJ1288 fuel injectors, and some remanufactured fuel Injectors.

Are Standard Motor Product injectors any good?

Should i replace 1 or all 4?

What other things should i buy in order to change a fuel injector?

I am going to get an intake manifold gasket and a throttle body gasket. What other items are nice to have on hand?

After lunch today I put in a can of royal purple fuel cleaner. Drove home 22 miles. Long term fuel trim was down from 7 to 3 while idling in driveway. I thought I was onto something. Drove the car again a few hours later around the block. Long term fuel trim was back up at 10. So i guess that was a waste of money.

Old 06-05-2024, 10:12 PM

What is the best place to get new injectors? And what brand?

Rockauto has Standard Motor Products FJ1288 fuel injectors, and some remanufactured fuel Injectors.

Are Standard Motor Product injectors any good?

Should i replace 1 or all 4?

What other things should i buy in order to change a fuel injector?

I am going to get an intake manifold gasket and a throttle body gasket. What other items are nice to have on hand?

After lunch today I put in a can of royal purple fuel cleaner. Drove home 22 miles. Long term fuel trim was down from 7 to 3 while idling in driveway. I thought I was onto something. Drove the car again a few hours later around the block. Long term fuel trim was back up at 10. So i guess that was a waste of money.

Old 06-05-2024, 11:18 PM

For customers it either NAPA brand or dealer. But for my personal engines I use RC Injector service . They rebuild checks for flow rate and balance . This way you can see if direct data relating to the performance of each individual injector . It also can show if one is to far out to use in your set. This process is better then any new offered performance injector or top brand new injectors even OEM. Many news injectors are not as balanced even at OEM new levels. This is very important for any engine the has upgrades and an ECU calibration or the use of exotic fuels .
I run a set of new RC Injectors in my Mazda . I also plan this summer of converting to a live return injector rail.

now you have one of my secrets

not to worried about many taking the recommendation most think new is good enough. 😂

Last edited by Callisto; 06-05-2024 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:33 AM

If I send all 4 injectors to RC engineering and after cleaning, one injector is still way off, can they sell me a new injector that is closer in flow to my original 3?

I looked at their website and it did not look like they had GDI injectors available.

Can they sell me a brand new set of 4 matched injectors? Or even a matched set of used injectors?

Old 06-06-2024, 07:40 AM

If I send all 4 injectors to RC engineering and after cleaning, one injector is still way off, can they sell me a new injector that is closer in flow to my original 3?

I looked at their website and it did not look like they had GDI injectors available.

Can they sell me a brand new set of 4 matched injectors? Or even a matched set of used injectors?

Old 06-06-2024, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by HighCompression

The obvious answer is to call them.
As I said I got my set for my GDI Mazda a few years ago. There website is not updated. Like many service shops website is the last thing they worry about keeping updated .

A fuel injector for gas no mater what direct injection or GDI all still operate the same and have the same componets internally.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-06-2024 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:54 PM

I called RC engineering, They said they can clean my injectors and rarely do they see one that they cannot fix by cleaning. The only ones they can't fix are units with burned up coils, or it mechanicaly damaged and fuel is shooting out of the side of it, but those are rare. So I will take all 4 to them soon.

Also, what do you think about this tool below for the home mechanic?

Old 06-06-2024, 08:02 PM

Another side experiment I have been running. This morning I dumped another can of royal purple injector cleaner into my gas tank that was half full. Drove to work and back today. When I got home my long term fuel trim has drifted down to 1.6 at idle in my driveway.

My engine has not thrown a code and I am showing ready for emmision testing. Still getting miss counts on cylinder 2 though. Still to early to tell if I am moving in a good direction.

Old 06-07-2024, 10:06 AM

Motion Pro makes some nice tools. I own a few.
The F/I injector cleaner is a basic and professional grade in a small package.

Honestly you are better money spent to have your injectors professional serviced from RC as I recommended.
Motorcycles have very poor fuel filtering and are the fuel is exposed to dirt constantly. So the need to clean the injectors is very important and needs to be frequently done as a regular routine service. Unlike a car that may need it done every 5-7 years and 30-80k miles?

I ma curious who did your ECU calibration with your use of E85 that all your I/M are ready? But that's another day conversation.

Quick Reply: My cx-5 rips on 4~5 gallons e85 mixed with 91 octane gas - callisto can you weigh in?