Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

My cx-5 rips on 4~5 gallons e85 mixed with 91 octane gas - callisto can you weigh in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 09:08 PM

Just performed compression check.

1 = 180
2 = 183
3 = 187
4 = 184

This is with NO foot on gas, does this look ok?

With the accelerator floored the numbers were lower.

Old 06-07-2024, 11:58 PM

Well…? I hope the engine was cold and that each test per cylinder was 5 rotation and no more ? Also ….so you do an active driver wire set at 100% for the second test? Or did you manually open it completely ? Otherwise the WOT compression test was not different than the first test and the numbers should have been the same? If they did in fact drop you did something wrong for the compression test. Number 3 is interesting as you compare that to the lowest . If you the compression test correctly with those numbers I would follow up with with a leak down test. Then after seeing those numbers it may be time to scope the intake and cumbustion chambers.

Old 06-08-2024, 12:14 AM

I took all the plugs out and screwed the gauge into each cylinder. I ran the engine until the needle stopped moving, which is probably more then 5 pumps on a cylinder.

Intake manifold is off, and the injectors are out, ready to go to RC engineering.

Intake valves had some junk on them, but not as bad as i have seen an old straight 6 200 cubic inch mustang I had as a kid.

Started cleaning intake valves that were closed with some crc valve cleaner. Then sucked the liqiud out with a oil vaccum pump. Doesnt get them spotless, but good enough for me.

Old 06-08-2024, 12:23 AM

Common misconception about the comp test. Static compression on a 4 stroke engine should be taken at 3-5 cycles. I prefer 5. More then 5 the compression readings are inconsistent for comparing because your are building more then base line static compression.

a perfect score on a 2.5 Skyactiv gas engine with all comports installed and untouched throttle cold engine is 180lbs . Ambient shop or garage temperature 50-65f.

Old 06-08-2024, 07:04 AM

After seeing first hand how tiny the holes are in the fuel injector, and the environment they live in. It seems to me everyone with GDi should be doing some kind of injector cleaning every 10k miles or so?

What is the best way to keep GDI injectors clean?

BG 44K every 10K miles?

Take it somewhere and have them hook a pressurized solvent tank to the fuel system?

And if You do dump some kind of injector cleaner in the fuel tank, should you use double or quadruple the dose the bottle says to get it to do anything?

Old 06-08-2024, 07:28 AM

Number 2 injector that is a suspect in my P0302 issue.

Old 06-08-2024, 09:13 AM

That is an effect and result of other problems unresolved

Old 06-08-2024, 09:25 AM

The only major issue I've ever had with any of fuel injected engines (excluding outboards) was on my wife's Chevy Corsica.
It needed replacement of all injectors at 80K.
I've used a cleaner at every oil change at a minimum on ever vehicle since then and have had no issues, so far anyway.
I would tend to agree with Cali that it is more likely other problems causing your clogged injectors.

Old 06-08-2024, 11:52 AM

I think there is a underlying problem.

The car started out life as a enterprise rental car, enough said.

Then my 80 year old mother bought it used from enterprise. She drove it half a mile twice a day at 25 mph for 5 years, never getting the engine more then luke warm.

Then I bought from my mom, and if you look at the title of this thread, that lunatic was running 4 gallons of E85 in the vehicle for over a year driving it 20 miles to work for an hour in stop in go traffic taking 1 hour to go 20 miles.

So i would have agree there is some underlying issues.

Old 06-08-2024, 12:03 PM

Quick Reply: My cx-5 rips on 4~5 gallons e85 mixed with 91 octane gas - callisto can you weigh in?