Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Navigation misdirected me

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 08:22 AM
Angry Navigation misdirected me

Yesterday my NAV system in my 2016 CX-5 sent me on a 66 mile route on mostly secondary roads to a destination that is 14.6 miles away on mostly freeway. Thanks Mazda.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Leftys7
Yesterday my NAV system in my 2016 CX-5 sent me on a 66 mile route on mostly secondary roads to a destination that is 14.6 miles away on mostly freeway. Thanks Mazda.
I've had occasional misdirection nearly every nav system I've had. Garmin, Subaru, Mazdda. I'm an old crock and still keep maps in my car, if something seems off I'll use them and then the NAV for the last mile.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:30 AM

Yep me too- One time my wife and I were out of town looking for a church- the GPS sent us miles away to an empty lot... It happens on all of them for sure.
on the bight side we were late for the wedding so I missed some...

Old 03-30-2022, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leftys7

I've never been happy with my onboard navigation on my '16 either. It will NOT enter a destination in another state. The kid lives in Gulfport Ms. I had to use my Garmin to get into Mississippi. Once in the state, it got me there just fine. Later trips I could enter it in my driveway from the history file no problem.

I live 20 miles as the crow flies from Carmi Illinois. It repeatedly tried to send me to Carmel Indiana. 180 miles away. When I bought the car, the dealer told me all I had to do to update it was plug it into a computer hooked into the internet. I did that and was told I could buy additional programming. My Garmin has lifetime updates. It's pretty bad when I have to use a unit that was bought for a motorhome, to drive a car. Especially since it's a large format screen from when I was going blind.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:42 PM

We do have navigation in our CX-5 but other than looking at when the next exit comes on long road trips, I don't use it. It is Google maps with real-time traffic all the time for me.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:44 PM
BWJ

"Yesterday my NAV system in my 2016 CX-5 sent me on a 66 mile route on mostly secondary roads to a destination that is 14.6 miles away on mostly freeway. Thanks Mazda."

In settings you can choose serveral settings like, fastest, economic, easiest and shortest route, I guess yours ar set to economic

Last edited by BWJ; 03-30-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:17 PM

The worst direction I have gotten in my Mazda was being told to drive an additional 4 block circle to get to the building that was 10 feet in front of me.

I often zoom out to see if the route makes sense.

I prefer Waze for directions but often have the Mazda system on for traffic and quick detours.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:27 PM

I use AppleCarPlay to access Google Maps for navigation. In almost 5 years of using it, it has never sent me on a really silly route to my destination as some described above. Can’t say that about some in-car nav apps I’ve tried.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:26 PM
CEB

Originally Posted by Chris!
I've had occasional misdirection nearly every nav system I've had. Garmin, Subaru, Mazdda. I'm an old crock and still keep maps in my car, if something seems off I'll use them and then the NAV for the last mile.
I agree. The navigation in both my Mercedes and BMW were not perfect either.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:43 PM
CEB
Smile

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
I use AppleCarPlay to access Google Maps for navigation. In almost 5 years of using it, it has never sent me on a really silly route to my destination as some described above. Can’t say that about some in-car nav apps I’ve tried.
I can't speak to AppleCarPlay but I imagine Android Auto is just as good and it has misdirected me more than once.
I'd never be without on board navigation. Too many times I've been in poor coverage areas for a cell phone and I would have been screwed without on board navigation.
I find on board navigation easier to use. I'm also not one who has to keep a cell phone in their possession at all times 24/7 or they freak out.

Quick Reply: Navigation misdirected me