Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Need to replace headlights in left-hand drive Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 08:36 AM
Default Need to replace headlights in left-hand drive Mazda CX-5

Hello, I've searched and cannot find a definitive answer for our problem.
We bought a Mazda CX-5 in 2018 in the UK (so left-hand drive car). We moved to Belgium in 2019 and imported the car without issue. It did not need a technical check for 3 years because it was a new car. At the yearly 'autokeurig' (technical check/MOT/whatever you want to call it), it failed due to the headlight kick-up because it's a left-hand drive car.
We took it to a local Mazda garage and they managed to fudge it, where they replaced the headlights temporariily for the purposes of the check. The problem is that with the headlights they use, a permanent 'error' is displayed in the car, so they had to change it back. Since then we've had to drive around with stickers so as not to blind drivers.
I'm looking for a permanent solution...the garage says there are 'many' headlights that could be used to replace ours, but it's not clear which ones will work without producing an error. They cannot purchase every headlight and try it without enormous cost to us. We can fudge the technical inspection again but they have said 'do not rely on us to do this'. They claim they have tried contacting Mazda for support, but have had no response.
ANY ideas about how to proceed and find a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Please do not quote the Mazda owners manual at me saying that no adjustment is necessary. The lights failed the inspection, and there is an obvious kick up, they are NOT flat, etc etc.
Thank you!

Old 01-19-2024, 09:31 AM

I asked myself after reading the owners manual: "How does my Dutch car knows it is in the UK and will adjust the headlights according to a left-hand driving country?".

GPS?
Or does it simply not do that, just like dsteinway's car?

Last edited by hsdejong; 01-19-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:29 AM

The "kick-up" can be removed/eliminated which should pass the requirements and not give an error code.
Though I'm not certain how much that helps as your steering will still be on the opposite side it should be.
If it were me, I would contact Mazda myself and see if they have a kit for this.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

FYI

Vehicles in the UK are RHD ( Drive on the left )

Vehicle in Belgium are LHD ( Drive on the Right)