Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Needing clarification on transmission fluid level check

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 12:05 PM
Default Needing clarification on transmission fluid level check

Hello everyone,

I'm diagnosing a bit of rough shifting on my 2014 CX-5. It's got 63,000miles on it. I've pulled the dipstick out and the level is slightly brown, but not bad at all. It looks almost clear on the paper towel. However, I'm not sure of the proper procedure to check the fluid. I'm reading lots of info that says check warm while in park, I'm also seeing check warm engine off. I want to make sure of which it's supposed to be. With the engine warm and in park, the level check is right at the bottom of the dipstick. Engine off the level looks normal. I also need clarification on the fluid. I'm seeing Mazda MV and also Mazda FZ. Are these the same thing? This is more confusing than it needs to be lol

Old 01-04-2022, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-04-2022, 10:42 AM

If it is at least showing close to the lower line on the dipstick hot or cold the difference is only a few ounces which really, I believe is a fudge factor? I measured the exact amount removed when I did a transmission filter and pan fluid service. When I replace the exact fluid and measure hot it was right in the middle. I did add to correct to the full or top line and now do my pan service by that measurement and amount removed and replaced which remains on the top line.
If you are concerned about the fluids condition, send it in to get analyzed.
Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)
Transmission Fluid Testing:Automatic transmissions ask a lot of the oil. Not only does the oil lubricate and clean internal parts, but it also functions as a hydraulic oil to operate various components.

Transmission oil can be contaminated with metals, solids, and moisture, and those contaminants need to be removed before they cause problems. Conversely, a test of your transmission fluid may reveal that it’s still in great condition, and you don’t need to change it as often as you thought.

There’s no easier way of knowing what’s going on in the system than oil analysis. We can tell you if the oil needs to be changed, if it’s contaminated, or if there are any problems at hand. Request your free kit today and make sure your drive train is wearing as it should!

Old 01-04-2022, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by lcann25
Hello everyone,

I'm diagnosing a bit of rough shifting on my 2014 CX-5. It's got 63,000miles on it. I've pulled the dipstick out and the level is slightly brown, but not bad at all. It looks almost clear on the paper towel. However, I'm not sure of the proper procedure to check the fluid. I'm reading lots of info that says check warm while in park, I'm also seeing check warm engine off. I want to make sure of which it's supposed to be. With the engine warm and in park, the level check is right at the bottom of the dipstick. Engine off the level looks normal. I also need clarification on the fluid. I'm seeing Mazda MV and also Mazda FZ. Are these the same thing? This is more confusing than it needs to be lol
Mazda changed transmissions some years ago. the 2016 MY IIRC. The older Nissan transmissions may call for
a different fluid than the current Mazda transmissions. I think FZ is the current fluid.
If in doubt, change it. Many suggest T fluid should be changed at 50,000 at the latest; 35-40K is better.
Don't believe the "life time" nonsense.

My 2¢

Old 01-04-2022, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
If in doubt, change it. Many suggest T fluid should be changed at 50,000 at the latest; 35-40K is better.
Don't believethe "life time" nonsense.

My 2¢

Old 01-04-2022, 09:28 PM

When I did my drain/fill plus dropping the pan and replace the filter as well (2013 CX-5). I just added the same amount that came out + a little bit due to the oil filter being replaced. Close that bad boy up and ready to go. Same procedure that I have been doing on my Honda Odyssey.

This guy has great videos on the CX-5

Old 01-05-2022, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kaimanson
When I did my drain/fill plus dropping the pan and replace the filter as well (2013 CX-5). I just added the same amount that came out + a little bit due to the oil filter being replaced. Close that bad boy up and ready to go. Same procedure that I have been doing on my Honda Odyssey.
This guy has great videos on the CX-5
The video is not bad, but he made the same assumption I did. The "sludge is actually the normal accumulation of modifiers and other assemble lubes used during the MAZDA 6 speed manufacturing.
However, there is also nonmagnetic material that settles to the bottom of the pan during the first few thousand miles of transmission break in that are left there is you go by the MAZDA claims of "LIFETIME no service transmission. The other mistake I made was that MAZDA fluid is NOT RED and is a dark color right out of the bottle. So, the Old school thinking that color indicates condition of fluid and possible other issue does not work with the MAZDA fluid.
Originally Posted by Callisto
My results:
You cant argue empirical DATA
A transmission service that consists of changing the pan fluid and filter does help and looking at the analysis will clean the transmission of potential harmful material. By all indication estimated service intervals should start at 10-15k miles followed up by routine services every 1-20k miles?

POST # 178 Transmission service Skyactiv 6 speed auto:

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 18 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 06-27-2023, 04:49 PM
Default Please specify

Hi, I am wondering if the level should be checked with either the car in park or in neutral?

Old 06-27-2023, 05:13 PM

For most all automatic transmissions park and neutral are the same for fluid flow and transmission oil pressures so it make no difference in the oil level either way.
The important thing is to check it when the transmission is at operating temperature, on level ground.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Taller
Hi, I am wondering ....?
Welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Needing clarification on transmission fluid level check