Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New 2021 CX-5 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 03:42 PM
Default New 2021 CX-5 GT

My SO and I just recently purchased a new 2021 CX-5 GT AWD. It will be her car. I am very impressed with this car. The attention to detail, the build quality, the interior, etc. When I first drove it, I was amazed how quiet the interior is. I think it's quieter than my 2018 XC90. It has double window panes in the front! For a mainstream brand, the inner door frames are also wrapped with no exposed metal. The rubber seals on the outside where the front doors meet the back doors when closed, I think I have only seen on luxury makes. The way it drives, the steering, brake feel. The steering is heavy which I like. Very similar to my old 2012 X5 then BMW decided to make it lighter on the F15, which I hated.

We were looking only at Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, and Toyota RAV4 at first. One of our friend has a CX-5 and told us to check it out. I did a lot research, test drove it, and CX-5 it was. We really wanted the Carbon Edition for the paint and the red interior but it's missing some items that we just had to have. Since my so is a new driver, the turbo was out of the question. The GT is right in the middle and the best option. Really wished Mazda offered the Carbon Edition with LED daytime running lights and tails, larger digital display in the instrument cluster, and Sat radio.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:11 PM

Congrats. We have a 19 GT and have been very happy with it other than the tires which wear quite fast for this type of car. I too found the options on the Carbon lacking. Too bad you can't buy one with a premium pack that includes those things.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:40 AM

Congratulations. I have the Carbon Edition and also wish it had a few more upgrades. Some IMHO of the upgrades that should be standard across the board - Sirius XM and full safety features for example are missing. Some of the nicer features - heating steering wheel, Heads up Display, fog lights, to name a few would have been nice to have been offered as options. And no CD player? I know you can use other sources, but I have hundreds of CD's at home. BUT Mazda had a price point in mind when offering the Carbon Edition.

I wasn't even aware of the CE when I went to the dealer, but was so wowed by the classy looks with those red leather seats, I really did not look much further comparison wise - which is very, very unlike me, and bought one. My bad. Had I to do it over again, I'm not sure I would have bought the CE because of lack of some features, so enjoy your (better equipped} GT and don't look back.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Recently acquired a 2016.5 CX-5 GT, myself. Considered many of the crossover/SUV type vehicles on the market in the past 5yrs, and was impressed by the CX-5. Tech Pkg, Navigation, Sat radio/traffic; just missing the iActiveSense driver aids pkg. Fairly quiet, comfortable, quick (particularly in "Sport" mode), and seems to be really grippy and stable in a nasty wintry mix (ice, sleet, snow, very cold, on hills and in corners).

Old 01-28-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
I wasn't even aware of the CE when I went to the dealer, but was so wowed by the classy looks with those red leather seats, I really did not look much further comparison wise - which is very, very unlike me, and bought one. My bad. Had I to do it over again, I'm not sure I would have bought the CE because of lack of some features, so enjoy your (better equipped} GT and don't look back.
I have to laugh. When I went to the dealer, I wasn't aware of the CE edition. I had my sights set on a Turbo model and it had to be the fabulous Mazda red. The dealer had just gotten in a '21 GTR which fit my criteria and I bought it. I normally carefully research various makes and models before going to the dealer, but this time we were under the gun so based on my having driven a '19 Turbo model, which I liked, I went ahead with the purchase of the GTR. But now knowing that the CE came with those classy red seats....it would have been nice if they had been available on the GTR. But I am still quite happy with the GTR and plan to enjoy it for many years.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:41 PM

Congrats on the CX-5 GT AWD. Contrary to all the rules I had about purchasing new cars, we purchased a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD, only a couple of months after they debuted with the 2.5L engine. We gave this car to our son recently, and replaced it with a 2021 CX-5. The upgrades are astounding in comparison to the 2014 GT with Tech Package. Pretty much all the gripes we had about the car have been addressed. About the only complaint my wife has so far as been sun glare at certain times from the chrome strip on the dash underlined in red. Oh and getting used to the command dial and selecting radio functions

Chrome strip causes sun glare

Old 01-28-2021, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
I have to laugh. When I went to the dealer, I wasn't aware of the CE edition. I had my sights set on a Turbo model and it had to be the fabulous Mazda red. The dealer had just gotten in a '21 GTR which fit my criteria and I bought it. I normally carefully research various makes and models before going to the dealer, but this time we were under the gun so based on my having driven a '19 Turbo model, which I liked, I went ahead with the purchase of the GTR. But now knowing that the CE came with those classy red seats....it would have been nice if they had been available on the GTR. But I am still quite happy with the GTR and plan to enjoy it for many years.
Yep, coming at it from similar places. One thing for sure is that it had to be a turbo - even leased (the same day) a 2021 Crosstrek with a turbo. As I mentioned, I usually do some research before buying, not so much this time. Of course horror of horrors that (like the Subarus) they should have a hard copy brochure in house to flip through the models and features or in lieu of that have some type of hard copy to look at. Again,I know it's online, but.....

Years ago my father told me "you sell cars at night, you don't buy them at night." That little adage aside, I'm pretty happy so far with my CE. Once I get more mileage and time with it, I'll post a review.

Last edited by bobm; 01-28-2021 at 01:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-29-2021, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Yep, coming at it from similar places. One thing for sure is that it had to be a turbo - even leased (the same day) a 2021 Crosstrek with a turbo....
Wow! I was not aware 2021 Crosstrek came with a turbo! I thought the new 1.5 turbo was slated for 2023 debut. But I do know in the US, that the addition of the 2.5L to the Sport and Limited has boosted sales by over 25%.

That is great! A two turbo family! We do love our CX5 turbo

Old 02-10-2021, 09:55 AM

How much did you end up paying? Any tips on how to get the best price on one of these? Thanks