Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

new 2021 Signature, can't connect to Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 04:49 PM

Thanks. I thought AA was using all the brains in the phone.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by moparmarc
Android Auto is essentially using your phone as a brain, with the display piped out to the vehicle display. All functionality is handled by the handset.

When using maps or waze, you do give up the turn-by-turn directions showing up on the HUD. But you don't have to worry about updating maps, etc.
Your AA Waze and Google maps show up in the HUD? Mine does not. Maybe that is a new feature for 21.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Your AA Waze and Google maps show up in the HUD? Mine does not. Maybe that is a new feature for 21.
The only directions that show up in the HUD are the Mazda Navigation app from the SD Card. AA and CP app directions do not show up in the HUD

Old 04-15-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2
The only directions that show up in the HUD are the Mazda Navigation app from the SD Card. AA and CP app directions do not show up in the HUD
That was my experience as well. It sounded as if the other poster was saying the AA/CP info also showed up in the HUD.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:59 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Holder-Cradle-iPhone-Samsung-Smartphone/dp/B07T9W25CR/
Just got this. Its great. Very inexpensive, but snaps right into the dash between the A/C vents. Provides access to the emergency flashers, and the air controls.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:31 AM

I have been lusting after a car with Android Auto for years. I've struggled with the User Interface (UI) of many brands of car infotainment systems and its clear that car engineers may be great at engines and brakes and stuff, but they are pretty terrible at UI. I figured that Android Auto would let smartphone UI folks bring great design to cars.

I have to say, after two weeks of driving my new CX5, I am very disappointed in the CX5 Android Auto implementation. The big beautiful screen is not touch sensitive. These Android apps are all designed for a touch sensitive display. Using the Master Commander Switch (or whatever Mazda calls it) is klunky. Its not a good user experience. So far, I've switched from using Waze, which I've used for many years, to the built-in Mazda navigation app, simply because it was designed to use the Master Commander Switch. (and it has the very cool heads-up display of turns and distances.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
I have been lusting after a car with Android Auto for years. I've struggled with the User Interface (UI) of many brands of car infotainment systems and its clear that car engineers may be great at engines and brakes and stuff, but they are pretty terrible at UI. I figured that Android Auto would let smartphone UI folks bring great design to cars.

I have to say, after two weeks of driving my new CX5, I am very disappointed in the CX5 Android Auto implementation. The big beautiful screen is not touch sensitive. These Android apps are all designed for a touch sensitive display. Using the Master Commander Switch (or whatever Mazda calls it) is klunky. Its not a good user experience. So far, I've switched from using Waze, which I've used for many years, to the built-in Mazda navigation app, simply because it was designed to use the Master Commander Switch. (and it has the very cool heads-up display of turns and distances.
I don’t use AA but CP and I have to agree wholeheartedly. My other car has a touchscreen and the Mazda **** is just a clunky implementation.

While I understand the reasoning for non touch, I honestly I do not drive the Mazda enough to get used to the ****. I find the whole **** thing distracting.

I do wonder how the German car experiences are with their command devices

Old 06-30-2021, 03:53 PM

Getting my '21 on Saturday, noticed quite a few holders like this one but they all seem like the height of a tall phone (like my Note 20 Ultra) will obscure the bottom of the display, this holder seems to carry the phone lower than the others. Do you think a 6.2" tall phone will block any of the display?

many thanks,

Matt

Old 07-03-2021, 11:35 AM

I think it will work fine with your phone. I love the mount and it looks factory.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:20 AM

I think it will work fine with your phone. I love the mount and it looks factory.
Now that I have taken delivery of the car and had a chance to sit behind the wheel, check the angles from my line of vision with the seat adjusted to my liking I think the top edge of the phone will encroach on the sight lines to the lower edge of the display but fortunately not much seems to ever be in that region no matter which screen I am on, built in menus or Android Auto. Ordered the holder yesterday, am eager to see how it works.

Now if I can just find a more elegant way to manage the USB cable, I always use the braided ones for durability but in this case I may want a more flexible one I can route more easily, the braided cable is very stiff. I have a 6' USB extended that I may try to tuck under the edge of my WeatherTech mats so I can bring the visible part of the cable that connects to the phone from behind the dash, or along the edge of the console, so the last 2"' to the phone is neater.

Many thanks,

Matt

Quick Reply: new 2021 Signature, can't connect to Android Auto