Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

new 2021 Signature, can't connect to Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 02:35 PM

Thanks chickdr19 for this recommendation:
Amazon Amazon

Even though the top edge of my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra) is easily an inch into the area of the CX-5 display it is in an area that doesn't have too much going on and, from my driver's position, I can easily see around it because the phone is several inches in front of the screen.

If I could take a Dremel to the lower portion of the holder and open it up just a but then the USB cable could fit inside and lower the phone a half inch, right now the USB-C connector is above the lower lip of the holder causing the entire phone to be that much higher, I have tried several different cords and none have a USB-C connector that is slim enough to fit within the cutout of the lower arm on the holder.

For what it worth the first few days I was going crazy because I couldn't reliably connect to Android Auto but once I moved the USB cable from the lower to the top USB jack and used an original Samsung cable instead of aftermarket the phone connects perfectly every time, hope others find this useful.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
I don’t use AA but CP and I have to agree wholeheartedly. My other car has a touchscreen and the Mazda **** is just a clunky implementation.

While I understand the reasoning for non touch, I honestly I do not drive the Mazda enough to get used to the ****. I find the whole **** thing distracting.

I do wonder how the German car experiences are with their command devices

I have a 2019 bmw x3 and very satisfied with the info screen. Has touch ability along with mazda like control ****. I find using the control **** is very easy and pretty much only use the touch screen capability if inputing a new destination prior to starting out on trip. But then again, it has voice recognition as well.
I just bought a 2020 cx9 and disappointed somewhat since no voice command but no big deal. I can't get the android auto to work though. Tried everything. Stays "grayed out" on the screen. Have android auto installed on phone, cable connected. Guess will need to go back to dealer

Last edited by gphin; 10-16-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Default Wireless Android Auto in 2020GT

2020 CX-5 GT. Don't know if this unit can be used with 2021 models, but after a wait of several months, I just got my wireless Android Auto unit from AAWIreless on Indiegogo. Only one day's experience, but it seems to work perfectly. It's a small plug in, like a dongle, that connects to the car's port. With the phone in my pocket, when I start the car, it connects and shows up on the car's display screen. About $90, but WAY better than plugging in a cable.

Last edited by bobbymac5; 11-05-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add more info