Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New CX-5 wind noise after ppf

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 11:56 AM
Default New CX-5 wind noise after ppf

Hey all,

Got a new CX-5. Had paint protection film installed on hood, front bumper and headlights. Also had windows tinted.

Since then, there seems to be a lot of wind noise coming off the side mirrors at speeds above 40mph.

Xpel place said they’ve never heard of ppf causing issues and they did not remove any parts or panels during install. They did check the seals around the doors and said it looks fine.

Dealer can’t get me in for a month, so driving around a loud new car isn’t appealing.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2023, 12:23 PM

Welcome to the forum

Never ever had that happen. I use to install mostly 3m protects for a couple dealerships in the San Jose Ca area. There should be no physical reason the film could make any noise. I would carefully examine the body parts and make sure nothing was displaced?
The so called rain protectors or miss termed wind protectors WILL increase the noise on newer MAZDAs because they disrupt the air flow and cause turbulence. But they do well at reducing rain and snow if you drive with the windows slightly or down in those kinds of weather?

Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum

Never ever had that happen. I use to install mostly 3m protects for a couple dealerships in the San Jose Ca area. There should be no physical reason the film could make any noise. I would carefully examine the body parts and make sure nothing was displaced?
The so called rain protectors or miss termed wind protectors WILL increase the noise on newer MAZDAs because they disrupt the air flow and cause turbulence. But they do well at reducing rain and snow if you drive with the windows slightly or down in those kinds of weather?
Yeah, it is strange. They claim they didn’t adjust or do anything aside from install.
But yeah, I immediately noticed the wind afterwards.
Hoping it will be something easy. I don’t have any other items installed like rain guards on side of windows or roof bars or anything. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Even took it to another shop associated with a body shop to check the seals and they said it all looked good, but they did acknowledge the wind noise from side mirrors and said something might be kicking the wind up from front of vehicle just enough to cause noise on side area by mirrors.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jtpc2000
Yeah, it is strange. They claim they didn’t adjust or do anything aside from install.
But yeah, I immediately noticed the wind afterwards.
Hoping it will be something easy. I don’t have any other items installed like rain guards on side of windows or roof bars or anything. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Even took it to another shop associated with a body shop to check the seals and they said it all looked good, but they did acknowledge the wind noise from side mirrors and said something might be kicking the wind up from front of vehicle just enough to cause noise on side area by mirrors.
Can you post some pictures?
The front end in the stock state or parts will not cause a deflection to the side of the car and upwards to the mirrors?
Is the noise on both sides increased or just the drivers side?
I presume with ALL the windows fully up?
This has me vey curious to help solve.... hahahaha!

Last edited by Callisto; 01-20-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:05 PM

Can you post some pictures?
The front end in the stock state or parts will not cause a deflection to the side of the car and upwards to the mirrors?
Is the noise on both sides increased or just the drivers side?
I presume with ALL the windows fully up?
This has me vey curious to help solve.... hahahaha!
Both sides have rushing wind noise from mirror area. It’s worse with speed, but noticeable as low as 40 mph. The car looks the same after as before install. I do notice the end of the headlights where they come to fender sticks out a bit, but the ppf place said they didn’t remove headlights - just put film on top of them.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:19 PM

what the heck??? this would cause a turbulence and subsequently wind noise??

Old 01-20-2023, 01:23 PM

what the heck??? this would cause a turbulence and subsequently wind noise??
Do you see something unusual? Not sure if you are just referring to the mirror or something else.

But to be clear, it did not have the loud wind noise before the install. I’ve driven 2 other new ones at the dealer since then to compare with mine and they were quiet.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:29 PM

If that is the new position then I guess its correct?
As an experiment push the mirrors full collapsed (for parking) and full forward position (bumped protection) and see if the noise changes and if so, how?

Last edited by Callisto; 01-20-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:38 PM

If that is the new position then I guess its correct?
As an experiment push the mirrors full collapsed (for parking) and full forward position (bumped protection) and see if the noise changes and if so, how?
I drove with the driver’s side folded awhile back as a test and didn’t notice much difference, but the second shop I took it to said they folded both in and drove on the highway and the wind noise was less in their opinion.

Old 01-20-2023, 02:13 PM

You may have to remove the film, or turn up the radio if it annoys you . Just kidding , this is very bizarre and strange .Never heard or seen anything like this B4. Is it possible the window tint installation stops the windows from sealing properly ?

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 01-20-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: New CX-5 wind noise after ppf