Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New Owner - Question on automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 09:32 AM
Lightbulb New Owner - Question on automatic transmission

I recently purchased a new 2021 Cx-5 CE turbo automatic transmission. I have put 1000 miles on it and I feel the transmission is not smooth when I accelerate at low speeds especially until 3rd gear. When I accelerate quickly it feels lot better. I come from a 5 speed and I drove my friend's BMW X1 with 8 speed and that was buttery smooth, another friend's Toyota Camry with 8 speed and i can't complain much about it. I am not sure if this is because the car is new. This is bothering me as I thought I bought a wonderful car but I am not pleased with how it shifts.

Did anyone experience this? Is this common? Does it get better after few thousand miles? Please help

Old 07-29-2021, 10:46 AM

If you question your NEW MAZDA take it to a MAZDA dealer and have them look at it. Then at lest you will be covered in the future should something fail.

Your description is not very descriptive of any problem I am aware regarding a new MAZDA transmission you may just simply be needing to get use to the MAZDA shifting characteristic's. I would not compare with other auto manufactured vehicle's.
I will say that you transmission like an engine has a wear/break in period. The transmission will start to fell different after you get between 5,000-15,000 miles.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:46 PM

My 2021 CE turbo had about 15 miles on it when I drove it off the lot - and 10 of those were my test drive. I noticed nothing odd about the shifting, and now approaching 5000 miles it still shifts quickly and smoothly. How does yours shift in manual mode?

Old 07-29-2021, 02:25 PM

Mine shifts very nicely. No complaints.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Mine shifts very nicely. No complaints.
yes but change the torque limits in the ECU and you would have a "wild Animal"!
one Down fall however.....

Old 08-02-2021, 09:39 AM

Callisto: The problem is more like jerky motion when you didn't match the revs on manual transmission. It does not struggle to shift but when it shifts, the revs drop to a point where it does not feel smooth. However I notice the most at cold start and below 30 mph

Old 08-02-2021, 09:40 AM

Carpdiem: Way better. However I only drove 2 times on manual mode

Last edited by Fault Finding guy; 08-02-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fault Finding guy
Callisto: The problem is more like jerky motion when you didn't match the revs on manual transmission. It does not struggle to shift but when it shifts, the revs drop to a point where it does not feel smooth. However I notice the most at cold start and below 30 mph
YUP... here is what I have noticed and working on rectifying if I can get full or at least partial ECU access and unlocking to change mapping sequence in some PIDs. If I leave my Mazda in auto shift and from a standing start from anything more the 16 degree grade the ECU will not communicate to the TCM or it may be that the TCM does not have the programing to change the TCM shifting perimeters adjusting 1st gear to second gear shift with less then 35% throttle accusation. If I exceed 35% and go to anything above 57% then the shift from 1st to 2nd will extend slightly. Naturally if I go further into the throttle @78% or greater I can speed nicely up the grade before it will shift into second and carry on.

When you have grocery's and a wife in the MAZDA sport driving is not an option. LOL

Only a thought and this is a hail marry experiment only, you can disconnect the battery from the negative cable for about 5-10 minutes then re-connect start the engine and go for a spirted short drive leaving the transmission in auto shift. If there are any adaptive in the MAZDA ECU ( I have never verified with anyone with actual facts and more fiction about what the MAZDA ECU can and Can't do) you may see a improved shift quality? No Guarantee's and I am not saying that this has any facts to back up my theory what so ever. At best no harm to anything and you will at least have a fun drive in your MAZDA!

Last edited by Callisto; 08-02-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:16 PM

I apologize for this terrible reply...its mostly anecdotal info. But I have read that it is common for Mazdas to be filled with the minimum amount of transmission fluid from the factory. Both of mine were on the low end when I checked them...but still between the lines. It couldnt hurt to check that. You have to remove air box to get to the stick, and it is secured with a little bolt...10mm if im not mistaken.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Engineer_X
I apologize for this terrible reply...its mostly anecdotal info. But I have read that it is common for Mazdas to be filled with the minimum amount of transmission fluid from the factory. Both of mine were on the low end when I checked them...but still between the lines. It couldnt hurt to check that. You have to remove air box to get to the stick, and it is secured with a little bolt...10mm if im not mistaken.
There has been a couple threads about the oil fill amount. So what I did was pull the pan and measured exactly the amount to the top edge of the mounting flange. Then reinstalled the pan and added exactly that amount to a cold transmission. The dip stick showed close to the lower line or add fluid line what ever you want to call it. I then added just enough fluid to meet the top line. That amount of fluid on a cold transmission place the transmission fluid above the fill or top line when the coolant reached 185F -200F or about 30 minutes of normal driving through oil temperature expansion. This means that the fluid was technically over the transmission flange and over filled slightly. So the dip stick readings between the fill and add lines new from MAZDA would be accurate.

Oh lol I painted my dip stick handle RED so I can see it better.

Last edited by Callisto; 08-03-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Question on automatic transmission