Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

No coolant in overflow bottle

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:00 AM

What are you agonizing over this for? Either follow Mazda's recommendation and add the FL22 as called for or not. I wouldn't mix any other coolant with the FL22, why risk it?

Now that you've topped it off keep an eye on the level.

"I can only assume that it was checked and correct at the last service 8 months ago."

Why would you assume this? If you didn't do it then it may not have been done. Don't ever assume that the dealer did things the correct way. You will be disappointed at some point I assure you.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:37 PM

"Why would you assume this?"
I have little faith in dealership service centers here in Australia after finding the oil drain plug in the gearbox not even hand tight after noticing drops of oil under the car after having the car serviced. Also (back in the bad old days of engines with carburetors) after complaining of a 'flat spot' on acceleration the fuel economy took a nose dive badly. I had the carburetor examined by a mechanic who found that the main jet had been drilled out to a size much larger than it should have been and the accelerator pump in the carburetor not working correctly. Watching hidden cameras showing dealership mechanics not adding the correct (and more expensive) engine oil after an oil change (not my car thankfully).
Would you like me to go on?
That is why I don't trust them.
Should I be checking everything which should have taken place after servicing? Shouldn't I trust anyone?

Once again can I be assured that there is not a coolant leak? And once again (regardless of others comments) I would NOT add plain water - I would only add the correct coolant.

I WILL monitor the situation.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jgplarnold
I would NOT add plain water - I would only add the correct coolant.

Parting shot here, simply because your premise is so wrong. The label on the front of a gallon of FL22 coolant clearly states "Prediluted 55/45". That's 55% coolant and 45% water! Adding a pint of distilled water to top off a system containing maybe 2.5 gallons of FL22 alters the coolant/antifreeze properties hardly at all!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 PM

I did say the CORRECT coolant be that premixed or concentrate which required mixing with water - I had NO idea in what form the FL22 comes in. You point out that it pre diluted ie premixed and ready to use. So be it.

Some coolant comes premixed and others as a concentrate which required mixing with water before adding to the system.

This thread has gone off the rails.
My original question was regarding an empty reservoir (not how to top it up) and someone replied about topping up with straight water where this whole thing has gone off the rails. My intention was not how to top it up.

Maybe we need to put this to bed and I will just monitor what happens in the future.

Last edited by jgplarnold; 04-02-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: correcting
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
C'mon GR, get real. We're talking about adding maybe a pint or so of distilled water which, given the volume of 50/50 mix in the system, has no discernable effect on cooling or anti-freeze capabilities. You should know that, having worked in a dealership!
If you add the distilled water to the overflow tank, isn't there a risk of it freezing/splitting the plastic tank since there wouldn't be any anti freeze.

Also after 11,000 miles I would expect some evaporation, so the fact the tank was empty with the engine cold could easily happen, did you check and see if there was anything in it with the engine hot? I got a gallon, of the pre mixed, I figure it will last for several years, so it's hardly an expensive investment.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chris!
If you add the distilled water to the overflow tank, isn't there a risk of it freezing/splitting the plastic tank since there wouldn't be any anti freeze.

Also after 11,000 miles I would expect some evaporation, so the fact the tank was empty with the engine cold could easily happen, did you check and see if there was anything in it with the engine hot? I got a gallon, of the pre mixed, I figure it will last for several years, so it's hardly an expensive investment.
The water will mix with the fl22 with a couple of expansions of the system into the tank. And we're not talking about filling the tank anyway, so zero chance of splitting. Buying a gallon of coolant is an option for the long term of course, but with the minimal amount of topping up mine has taken over 4.5 years of ownership, it never quite seemed worth it.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
The water will mix with the fl22 with a couple of expansions of the system into the tank. And we're not talking about filling the tank anyway, so zero chance of splitting. Buying a gallon of coolant is an option for the long term of course, but with the minimal amount of topping up mine has taken over 4.5 years of ownership, it never quite seemed worth it.
Good point on the expansions. I keep my cars for a long time, so if the gallon runs out, it may be time to trade. ;-)

Old 04-03-2017, 07:42 PM

I checked the coolant level in the overflow bottle when the engine was hot (yes I have noticed with other cars that the level can vary between cold and hot due to expansion) yet it was still completely empty.
Strangely after the engine cooled and I removed the pressure cap from the top of the radiator was to the top of the part where the pressure cap seal contacts it.
Maybe there has been some evaporation. That's the most positive reply I have had so far but I remain sceptical that is the reason.
Maybe the the person who checked it at the last service either didn't check it or failed to ensure that the level was ok. With minor problems with servicing of other models in the past I am not confident with dealer servicing. Once its out of warranty I will take it to an independent mechanic like I have in the past.
I will continue to monitor it and also point out my finding at the next service in 2 months time.
BTW I also own a Mazda 323 (from new) and note that the coolant level in the overflow tank drops below the full mark and I top it up to the full mark BUT it has never seen the level below the Low/Refill mark ley alone completely dry. That is the reason for this thread.