Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Oil Change / Oil Filter Question - 2019 CX-5 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Default Oil Change / Oil Filter Question - 2019 CX-5 2.5

I have been getting my oil changes done at the dealership because they are free for the first 3 years. That time is up and I'm now on my own. I've researched how to perform the oil change and it looks pretty straightforward. My oil fill cap says 0W20 so my plan is to use :

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 Extended Performance
Mobil 1 M1-108A Extended Performance Oil Filter
Dorman M14 crush washer (095-147)

This is very almost the same as I use on my wife's 2015 Subaru Legacy. That car uses a M16 crush washer. I'm a bit surprised they use different diameter crush washers since the drain plug head sizes are the same, at 17mm.

On the Subaru, because of where the oil filter sits, I am able to use the M1-110A filter, which is a little larger than the M1-108A. They have the same specs, but being larger, the 110A has a larger filtering surface. Note that various sites say that the M1-108A and M1-110A are both ok to use on the Legacy.

Now my question) Does anyone know if the M1-110A will have enough clearance to the panel that covers the oil pan and filter?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:49 AM

I've used oversize filters on my CX-5. I'm using Fram XG7137 but the 3593A will also fit and work fine.
Cross those numbers to the Mobil-1 filter.
I even pre-fill my filter as it mounts vertically.
8mm and a small flat screw driver plus a filter wrench is all you need.

My 2¢

Old 05-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Thanks Dennis. I looked up the heights

Mobl1 M1-108A 2.93"
Fram 3593A 3.39"
Fram 7317 3.47"
Mobil1 M1-110A 3.52"

I also measured my two previously used M1-110A filters. One was 3.5" and the other 3.3". I was surprised there was a difference.

Old 05-30-2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by bobp55
Thanks Dennis. I looked up the heights

Mobl1 M1-108A 2.93"
Fram 3593A 3.39"
Fram 7317 3.47"
Mobil1 M1-110A 3.52"

I also measured my two previously used M1-110A filters. One was 3.5" and the other 3.3". I was surprised there was a difference.

Mobil has re-designed/up-dated some of their filters a year or two ago so that may account for the difference. All those filters should fit just fine.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:32 PM

There is no advantage to using a larger oil filter unless you operate in an environment like Saudi Arabia with a high air dust content.

Many OEM MAZDA oil filter were assigned updated part numbers (not uncommon in OE parts) for interchange and OEM cataloging. There is very few that the actual specification and those specification data was published indicating otherwise.
This also frequently occurs with aftermarket oil filters.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:22 PM

Mazda has two filters currently for their vehicles. Only difference I can see is the country of origin.
One is made in Thailand the other is made in Mexico.
While the OEM filters, generally, are decent products, top of the line aftermarket filters are a step up
in efficiency. An oversized filter has greater holding capacity, not usually a problem on properly maintained
vehicles, and better flow. The extra few ounces of oil isn't of much import.
Just for ****s and giggles, here's the cut open of my last dealer installed filter.
My 2¢

Old 05-30-2022, 04:48 PM
CEB

For just $30-50 I prefer the dealer does it and I don't have to go out and buy the oil, filter, washer and any other tidbits I might need. I also don't have to jack up the vehicle, crawl under it and finish up looking pretty grimy or worry about having to dispose of the old oil. I'd rather pay the $30-50, sit in their cooled or heated waiting area for an hour while drinking their coffee and eating a complimentary Danish.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:21 PM

CEB - $30 would be a great price for a full synthetic oil change with a new filter. $50 isn't bad either, and is about what my dealer would charge (last free change I got was listed as $54, with the full amount discounted). But I like doing my own oil changes. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and makes me feel like know my car better. I even built my own ramps out of some scrap 2x12 boards I had lying around. It raises the front wheels 3", which is plenty high enough for me to get under it to the oil drain plug. I guess to each his own.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:42 PM
CEB

CEB - $30 would be a great price for a full synthetic oil change with a new filter. $50 isn't bad either, and is about what my dealer would charge (last free change I got was listed as $54, with the full amount discounted). But I like doing my own oil changes. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and makes me feel like know my car better. I even built my own ramps out of some scrap 2x12 boards I had lying around. It raises the front wheels 3", which is plenty high enough for me to get under it to the oil drain plug. I guess to each his own.
If you're ever in my neighborhood bring your ramps and tools and I'll let you give yourself some more feelings of accomplishments by not only changing the oil in my CX-5 but washing it as well.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:18 PM

I understand perfectly. While I could use the hoist at the shop I do it in my garage at home. h and I just did it as always and at 3k miles.

Dennis I understand ou OLD school thoughts and MYTH created during that (60-80;s) time period but it not really the NOW thing or for that matter accurate information about larger capacity oil filters. I also think based on BLACK STONE Oil Labs sharing hundreds of samples analysis that oil filter representation on forums is over dramatized and the people that profit from all the mis information are the manufactures of oil filters including the ones that manufacture oil filters for MAZDA. ROLMAO.
Really how much micro filtering is going to extend the life of any engine enough that it makes it worth spending twice or more in some case for a oil filter. I use OBERG and still do on race engine that build spending 20-40 k doallrs and use good old fashion ORNAGE FRAM filter and not engine ever failed due to poor filtration. On my MAZDA I have posted using several after market and OEM oil filters and have also post the oil sample results. The poi filters all did the job from the 299 special to an Amsoil 25 dollar oil filter. LOL

Now Dennis if you have documentation and DATA to support you thoughts or to debate in question my information please feel free to post it, I am always willing and ignore learn empirical information!

Quick Reply: Oil Change / Oil Filter Question - 2019 CX-5 2.5