Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Oil Change / Oil Filter Question - 2019 CX-5 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 08:01 PM

No 'empirical' data as such. A bit of common sense. A larger filter results is slower oil
passing through the media. Better chance of catching particulates.
A 'better' quality filter, besides peace of mind, Will catch more and smaller particulates.
I don't recall the exact size of particulates that causes the most damage, but it was pretty
small micron size. (30?). The top of the line filters are rated at 98% at 30 or even 20 IIRC.
'Course, race engines, which are torn down regularly, aren't worried about long life as their first
concern.
YMMV.

MY 2¢

Old 05-31-2022, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
No 'empirical' data as such. A bit of common sense. A larger filter results is slower oil
passing through the media.
Better chance of catching particulates.

A 'better' quality filter, besides peace of mind, Will catch more and smaller particulates.
I don't recall the exact size of particulates that causes the most damage, but it was pretty
small micron size. (30?). The top of the line filters are rated at 98% at 30 or even 20 IIRC.
'Course, race engines, which are torn down regularly, aren't worried about long life as their first
concern.
YMMV.

MY 2¢
Well Fluid Dynamics would disagree regarding motor oil and oil filters commonly used.
As for particle sizes it like the challenge now for filter companies to post the microns as if that really will prolong an engine beyond normal designed and engineering wear. It doesn't. There is also countless techncial articles that you can find that "BLOWS" that MYTH as well. Like I said in my race engines I use OBERG check out the filtering specification. They are not anywhere near the top 10 commonly used oil filter even on this forum. Yet I can say they do the job well and there has never been even microscopic signs of practical damage on the main or rod bearings.

I see from your response you are spending yet again to much time on the internet and not really looking at the BOG PICTURE" of information only what the oil manufactures want to imply and it seems to work with you.
What some don't realize is that if oil filters filter to effect it is theoretically possible they could filter out add lubricant that are in some motor oil like Molybdenum Disulfate that must be special bonded to the oil to stay suspended. to name the most common one.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Well Fluid Dynamics would disagree regarding motor oil and oil filters commonly used.
As for particle sizes it like the challenge now for filter companies to post the microns as if that really will prolong an engine beyond normal designed and engineering wear. It doesn't. There is also countless techncial articles that you can find that "BLOWS" that MYTH as well. Like I said in my race engines I use OBERG check out the filtering specification. They are not anywhere near the top 10 commonly used oil filter even on this forum. Yet I can say they do the job well and there has never been even microscopic signs of practical damage on the main or rod bearings.

I see from your response you are spending yet again to much time on the internet and not really looking at the BOG PICTURE" of information only what the oil manufactures want to imply and it seems to work with you.
What some don't realize is that if oil filters filter to effect it is theoretically possible they could filter out add lubricant that are in some motor oil like Molybdenum Disulfate that must be special bonded to the oil to stay suspended. to name the most common one.

IF moly was filtered out why do oil companies put it in? Yet Blackstone Labs shows moly still present after a lengthy OCI.
Again, race engines get torn down after a few, and in some cases one, races. Most competition filters don't filter all that well; they seem more
concerned with flow. All well and good for them. Us average Joe are concerned with long life. While we may not plan on going 600,000 miles
like one guy with a Mazda 6, but we'd like them to last one or two hundred thousand miles without major problems, even if we don't keep them that
long.
So some of us will continue to use the largest filter that fits and the best filtering filter we can find; currently the Fram XG series.
Your way isn't always the best way despite your opinion that it is.

My 2¢

a vehicle, we would like them to last one or two hundred thousand without major problems.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
IF moly was filtered out why do oil companies put it in? Yet Blackstone Labs shows moly still present after a lengthy OCI.
Again, race engines get torn down after a few, and in some cases one, races. Most competition filters don't filter all that well; they seem more
concerned with flow. All well and good for them. Us average Joe are concerned with long life. While we may not plan on going 600,000 miles
like one guy with a Mazda 6, but we'd like them to last one or two hundred thousand miles without major problems, even if we don't keep them that
long.
So some of us will continue to use the largest filter that fits and the best filtering filter we can find; currently the Fram XG series.
Your way isn't always the best way despite your opinion that it is.

My 2¢

a vehicle, we would like them to last one or two hundred thousand without major problems.
Do you read what I post ? lol

I do like your responses because it really supports the biggest thing I have been saying is that many buy into the advertising and not what happens in the real world empirically speaking.
As for me using performance engines as a example it because a race engine will technically wear in only a few hours in some case equal to a daily driven engine that has 100-200K miles on it LOL.

Don't be like that other member, before responding to my posts do some hard research and learn about facts and not you tubes from DIY or washed up mechanic's. LOL Really I get that you like the BIG piece of mind using some parts and doing some of the things you do on your vehicles.