Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Oil dipstick fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022 | 04:12 PM
|
Default Oil dipstick fluid level

I have a 2020 cx5. The oil light comes on from time to time. When I check the fluid level, one side of the dipstick shows the oil level between the two holes on the stick. If I flip it over, the oil level is way above the top hole on the dipstick. Which side of the dipstick should I go by?

Old 08-09-2022 | 07:21 PM

I'm going to assume that you let the engine sit for several minutes after turning it off (on a level surface) before checking the oil level. I'll also assume that you first remove the dipstick, wipe it clean, re-insert it for a second or two, then remove it again to get you reading. At that point I would have to say that the lower of the two levels shown is actual; if one side is higher than the other it would only be because it picked up some oil on its way out of the dipstick tube.

Last edited by cadcamjim; 08-09-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2022 | 04:43 AM
|

Cadcamjim, You are correct in your assumptions. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-10-2022 | 06:45 PM

If you are getting the oil light from time to time you must be burning oil? Are you adding oil? Is it a turbo motor? (there is another thread about a TSB for the 2.5T) In any event I would have the car looked at as you could have an issue.

Old 08-11-2022 | 07:13 PM
Cool

Ignoring a low oil light is….a terrible idea. Either the oil level is too low risking major engine problems, or the sensors are malfunctioning. If the OP is certain the oil level on the dipstick is within the acceptable range, he needs to head to the dealer.

Old 08-11-2022 | 08:34 PM

Where did the OP say they were ignoring anything?

Old 08-12-2022 | 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dansued
I have a 2020 cx5. The oil light comes on from time to time. When I check the fluid level, one side of the dipstick shows the oil level between the two holes on the stick. If I flip it over, the oil level is way above the top hole on the dipstick. Which side of the dipstick should I go by?
The dipstick is so misunderstood. It really simple the operating range for the engine is to maintain the oil level between the indicators on a MAZDA. Both would be operationally speaking full.

But if you are getting the oil light get your engine checked ASAP. If you're asking than it is more than likely you may not know how to check all the is need to find why it is activating but the oil level on your dipstick is not the issue.

Old 08-12-2022 | 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Ignoring a low oil light is….a terrible idea. Either the oil level is too low risking major engine problems, or the sensors are malfunctioning. If the OP is certain the oil level on the dipstick is within the acceptable range, he needs to head to the dealer.
Exactly!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^