Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Oil filter that comes with a new car

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Default Oil filter that comes with a new car

Hey there, just changed the oil in my 2018 CX-5. It's the 2nd oil change (12k miles), dealer did the first change at 5600 miles as it was a good deal - $40 for synthetic. Anyway I noticed they left the factory crush washer on the drain pan plug... it was painted black around the edges. Another thing was the oil was very dark. I'm concerned they didn't even do an oil change.

Does anyone know what oil filter comes on the car from the factory? I would assume it would be the Japan one. I just removed the PE one (Mexico), so I think they may have changed it. I just thought a new car should have more brownish oil than the black that came out, but hey i have no idea as I've always had used cars over 40k.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by eleazar6
Hey there, just changed the oil in my 2018 CX-5. It's the 2nd oil change (12k miles), dealer did the first change at 5600 miles as it was a good deal - $40 for synthetic. Anyway I noticed they left the factory crush washer on the drain pan plug... it was painted black around the edges. Another thing was the oil was very dark. I'm concerned they didn't even do an oil change.

Does anyone know what oil filter comes on the car from the factory? I would assume it would be the Japan one. I just removed the PE one (Mexico), so I think they may have changed it. I just thought a new car should have more brownish oil than the black that came out, but hey i have no idea as I've always had used cars over 40k.
I cannot comment on the oil filter, however, I should caution you from jumping to any conclusions.

First off, the color of the oil has exactly zero bearing on whether said oil is fit to continue lubricating your engine; furthermore, some oils, Mobil 1 for instance, tend to darken to full black within a few hundred miles, while other oils, say Castrol Edge for instance, do not; both are great oils and can easily exceed the oil change interval specified by Mazda.

Second, many dealerships vacuum the oil out through the dipstick tube, I do this as well, I haven't pulled a drain plug from an engine since the late 1990s.