Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Which oil filters to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 08:36 AM
Default Which oil filters to use?

I've always believed that changing oil more often than "the book" calls for is a good idea, and my cars usually last me 100,000 miles or more. Cause and effect? Probably not, but it certainly doesn't hurt to change oil more often than the rules call for, especially when operating in challenging conditions.

I'm not close to a Mazda dealer, and I've used the same locally-owned oil change shop for my cars for years with good results. With my 2021 CX-5 GT (17,000 miles), since the car was brand new I've always used synthetic oil as recommended by Mazda. That said, I have a hunch that my shop may be using cheap, generic oil filters. Since I'm changing oil more often than Mazda calls for, is any oil filter OK, or should I make it a point to buy a supply of genuine Mazda OEM filters and have my shop use those? Those filters are inexpensive online at mazdapartsconnect.com, so I'm leaning towards that.

What sayeth the experts here? Are generic filters OK in my situation or should go with the Mazda-branded ones?

Many thanks,

Milt Baker, Pompano Beach, FL

Last edited by miltbaker; 04-12-2023 at 04:44 PM. Reason: correcting a few small errors
Old 04-12-2023, 10:01 AM

Any name brand filter will be fine. Even the cheap ones are fine if you are changing oil often.

BTW, making it past 100k is nothing noteworthy for a vehicle. Even moderate maintenance will put you well past 150k these days. Once you hit 200k, you're starting to get some distance between you and the top of the bell curve.

Last edited by bryris; 04-12-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:53 AM

Many thanks, Bryris! I agree that 100,000 isn't unusual these days, but I do want to take care of my car, so I'll stick with frequent oil changes because I'd like to think that never hurts.

MiltB

Old 04-12-2023, 11:26 AM

The engine are not fully broken in until around 30K miles. However, there is a misconception (BIG MYTH on FORUMS of all platforms) about the longevity of any engines... the 100k mark is still 100,000 miles. There is engine wear. Because these engine reciprocating assemblies rotate at 3x+ comparing engine manufactured 3 or more decades ago also mean that wear is a factor is still present. Think about the RPM on highway use where speeds limits are 65-70mph. So without causing all kinds of DIY and MYTHs if you do not keep up on regular maintenance and don't sport run your engine they will still have issues past the 99.99k miles just like any other engines of the past.

Any branded filter will do a fine job:
To name my preferred oil filters based on sales and performance via oil analysis.

Mazda
Fram
Mobil 1
K&N

Old 04-12-2023, 12:28 PM

Any brand name filter is roughly equal to the MFG filter.
Mazda can and has excellent longevity. I've heard of a California car that lasted
some 600,000 miles before the owner gave it up. Only major problem was a head gasket at
500,000 miles. Yes it was a California car and yes it's likely that much of those miles were
highway miles. But still.
Some here use an oversize filter that works well on Mazda and other Asian engines.
The 7317 size. Fram numbering system.
Good oil, good filter = long life.

My 2¢

Old 04-12-2023, 12:39 PM

Ya just because they reported those miles gives no indication what the engine power was nor the actual internal conditions of the parts. Sorry but there are some parts that just cannot go that many miles no matter how well the engine is treated. Metal fatigue and none hardened parts will and do wear long before those type of high miles.

There is NO value (unless operating in a extremely dusty air quality) to use a larger oil filter. NONE ! The was a MYTH dating back to the 70's when MR Gasket and Transdapt offered an adapter to run 2 large oil filters for DUNE BUGIES (lol) and then some used the largest oil filter they could find on race cars later made its way to street application ... why because RACE inspired. LOL

Old 04-12-2023, 12:47 PM

The thinking is, the filter material being the same, a larger filter can and will flow more oil.
A larger filter will also hold more contaminates if maintenance is neglected.
As the larger filter costs the same as the small one many MFGs are going to of late, why not?

My 2¢

Old 04-12-2023, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
The thinking is, the filter material being the same, a larger filter can and will flow more oil.
A larger filter will also hold more contaminates if maintenance is neglected.
As the larger filter costs the same as the small one many MFGs are going to of late, why not?

My 2¢
Not really and I don't want to debate yet another thread about this. I have personally flow tested that BS theory so many years ago that you are dating yourself with the information in your thoughts. LOL

You may want to actually see how the flow rating of oil filters is done and what they are from a few manufactures that have the specifications.

Um as far as holding more material this is also a misconception that the il filter will continue to filter and not simply by-pass.
The reality is your should NOT be using a larger capacity oil filter with any daily drive at least manufactured from about 1995 and newer unless specified by the OEM.

Using a larger filter can be evidence of not following the recommended oil filters by the OEM and if not applicated by the OEM or aftermarket oil filter manufactures usage on a specific engine and platform and could void your new car warranty.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:50 PM

to each his own. It may be "old school" but the extra margin is a plus to some of us.
More material means more capacity.
And some filters allow more oil flow in any case, Does an engine NEED it? Perhaps not,
but it's there in any case.

My 2¢

Old 04-12-2023, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
to each his own. It may be "old school" but the extra margin is a plus to some of us.
More material means more capacity.
And some filters allow more oil flow in any case, Does an engine NEED it? Perhaps not,
but it's there in any case.

My 2¢
And again you presume thing without looking at the specifications. LOL

Maybe that why you are a DIY ?
You are just going to debate the flow thing based on what ... armchair DIY thoughts of the world being flat not round... LOL

Ok well keep you posting I love the Entertaiment factor of comical!

Quick Reply: Which oil filters to use?